Pumpkin Saison - WLP565 - Are there unfermentable sugars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleRusty

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently brewed a Pumpkin Saison using various fall squash (Butternut, Acorn, & Yams), based off of the recipe here. I mashed at ~148/149F, OG of 1.008 and pitched WLP565 Yeast.

The fermentation originally got stuck around 1.035, so I warmed it up and stirred it a bit in a temp-controlled chamber and let it go at around 85F for several weeks. It quickly went down to 1.01 where it has now stayed for a while. I'm wondering if it's possible to get this further down to say 1.00, or are there perhaps unfermentable sugars left from the squashes (6Lbs total added to the mash)? Or could there be some left from some of the special malts?

I'd like to get it to finish as dry as possible, and am mostly wondering if it's fully attenuated yet or if there's some room to ferment further.

I doubt its getting any lower. Youve got 1.5lbs of cara/roasted malts in there.

Only non wild beer ive had get to 1.000 was my most recent saison with WY3711 and Yeast Bay Wallonian farmhouse both of which are infamous for being ridiculous attenuaters

I doubt its getting any lower. Youve got 1.5lbs of cara/roasted malts in there.

Only non wild beer ive had get to 1.000 was my most recent saison with WY3711 and Yeast Bay Wallonian farmhouse both of which are infamous for being ridiculous attenuaters

Thanks, that does make sense then. It's pretty damn tasty so I'll leave her where she is then!

Just base grains does make sense, now that I think of it I can't think of a single commercial example of a dark beer that's super-dry with a 1.000 gravity aside from something sour or brewed with Brett.

Back