Pumpkin Pie Spice At Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I realize there's a few other sections more appropriate for this thread but this one gets the most traffic and I need quick response. So....

After reading a dozen threads on pumpkin ciders that never seem to conclude with any results I'll see if I can get what I'm after. Has anyone spiced a cider at bottling time? What were the results? How about adding a shot or two of bourbon? I'm contemplating giving it a shot for an event I'll be serving at but don't have the time to totally experiment at the moment. So I'm hoping I can get some quick feedback to either confidently go for it or stick to a recipe I already know is solid. Ive done it with great results in a pumpkin ale but never in a cider. Thanks in advance!

I have done many things with cider but not adding spices. I would make sure they are boiled up with the sugar if you are bottle conditioning, spices are pretty unsanitary... I prefer Jameson in cider vs american whiskeys as cider is so light to begin with.

GL :mug:

I have done many things with cider but not adding spices. I would make sure they are boiled up with the sugar if you are bottle conditioning, spices are pretty unsanitary... I prefer Jameson in cider vs american whiskeys as cider is so light to begin with.

GL :mug:

I'm going to backsweeten the batch with apple juice and brazilian pepper honey. At the moment I have a spice mix sitting in a couple shots of Buffalo Trace to sanitize. It smells really good and tastes a bit strong but once mixed throughout the batch it should even out. Thats considering I pull the trigger and go for it. Thanks for the quick reply!

So I ran the bourbon through a coffee filter and mixed a little of it in with a hydro sample to see what I thought. The smell was spot on and exactly what I was aiming for but the flavor wasn't very appealing. So for now it looks like this won't work, at least this way. If I can figure out a way to make the flavor match the aroma I'll post it up but that's all I've got for now.

Back