Pumpkin Pie Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well true it is only 1 1/2 months from pitching the yeast. I let the primary go without the spices and pumpkin. I would expect that this would be bottleable in about 6-7 months and should be aged at leads 5 months, if not a full year. I tell you, if you hear anyone making pumpkin pie from the raw pumpkins, be impressed. It takes a lot of work to peal and chop up due to the density of both the rind and the meat.

I tell you, if you hear anyone making pumpkin pie from the raw pumpkins, be impressed. It takes a lot of work to peal and chop up due to the density of both the rind and the meat.

This was not that hard at all. I used a pie pumpkin that I quartered and cleaned. Then I just used a good vegetable peeler to take the rind off. (I do the same with butternut squash.) Then i shredded the pumpkin in a food processor. I don't think I spent 30 min preparing 3#. I probably could have done 3 pumpkins in about a hour for a 5gal batch.

Craig

I lack a food processer and I think that my peeler was a bit dull. I tried to put it in the blender but it wouldn't blend well, with out adding more water than what I wanted so I just cubed it and put it in a mesh bag. It was a bit of work but hopefully worth it. It may have been easier if I had toasted the pumpkin. Ah, well, live and learn.

I lack a food processer and I think that my peeler was a bit dull. I tried to put it in the blender but it wouldn't blend well, with out adding more water than what I wanted so I just cubed it and put it in a mesh bag. It was a bit of work but hopefully worth it. It may have been easier if I had toasted the pumpkin. Ah, well, live and learn.

Given your situation, bake and mash sounds easier. Once baked and cooled the rind peels off easy and it is soft so you can mash. Good equipment does make a task much easier sometimes.

Craig

Hey Big K

How did this finally turn out because I am looking to try a pumpkin styled mead in the next few weeks or so, that away it will be ready for this coming fall....

Hey Big K

How did this finally turn out because I am looking to try a pumpkin styled mead in the next few weeks or so, that away it will be ready for this coming fall....

Yeah.. I would also like to start one if this turned out ok.

Also, on these 1 gallon meads what fermentor are you using a 1 gal carboy or what?

Just cracked open a bottle of pumpkin Pie mead last night. I started mine in Nov 08, bottled in July 09.
Overall a pleasent experience. Taste is good, color is great.

I'll do another batch on a larger scale.
My recipe follows for those interested.
(this was one of my first batches and i didn't own a hydrometer yet so don't have gravity readings)

D

Recipe
3 lbs Honey Clover Walmart
1/3 lbs Corn Sugar
5 gr package Lavins D-47
½ tsp bentonite
½ tsp Wine Tannin
1 tsp Yeast nutrient
1 tsp Acid Blend
Water to one Gallon
Process
Heat1/2 gallon water to 160˚ F
Remove from Heat add honey, make sure honey is completely disolved
ADD Tannin, Nutrient, Acid Blend, bentonite
Water bath with ice, to 78˚ to 80˚ F
Add yeast
Pour into fermenter
Shake vigorously to aerate
Add water to one gallon
Put on lid and airlock w/vodka

(Note:about two weeks later)
Racked to secondary, Must has settle out clear
Racked into one gallon jugs using the following flavors:
#1 Pumpkins Pie mix 30 oz Libbeys Brand

Taste test: Extremely sweet not a lot of alcohol taste, maybe the D-47 leaves more sugar

Did not add any fermenter stop – OK if secondary fermentation starts. Will rack to tertiary in 2 to 3 weeks

Back