Pumpkin IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love pumpkin! The problem I have with most pumpkin beer is that they use just enough pumpkin to sell it in the fall. For the original recipe that i used it called for 30oz of pumpkin and I am now up to about 100oz for my pumpkin ale. Now the real question has anyone tried or drank a pumpkin IPA? I love IPAs and I love pumpkin beers i just have no idea if the flavors will work together. The hops i plan on using are 3 oz. of chinook hop pellets (what I have).

Any thoughts?

I haven't ever tried it. I personally use about 4 lb of canned pumpkin in my pumpkin ale and 2 oz of mt hood (1.5 bittering, .5 aroma).

I would try to be careful not to overpower the pumpkin spices with the hops, but I don't think you're likely to do that with 3oz.

Let us know how it turns out :mug:

I think it would be very hard to taste the pumpkin with lots of hops. Fruit beers aren't typically hoppy for that very reason.

I currently have a black pumpkin IPA fermenting, based off of the Hopstache black IPA kit from Midwest (i contacted them directly to get the required ingredients as it isn't for sale this year yet). As for the pumpkin, I baked approximately 5 2 lb pumpkins, quartered, with some brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon on top for about an hour at 350. Pull them out and let them cool, and once cool, scrap out the pulp and put it into a fine mash bag. Add at 15 minutes left in the boil, and at 10 minutes, add a stick of cinnamon, tsp of nutmeg and allspice. I used the same pumpkin amount and spices in a dark wheat last year, and it came out with a just a hint of pumpkin but not over powering.

Back