Pumpkin in a Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilikecats12

Reaction score
Thinking about brewing a pumpkin porter for fall but have never had any experience adding pumpkin to any beer let alone a porter. I will be brewing a six gallon batch (aiming on bottling around 5.5 gallons). I want the pumpkin flavor to be subjacent to the roasted flavors of the porter but still present. Any suggestions or recommendations as to how much pumpkin, puree vs.fresh pumpkin, mash vs. boil, etc. would be much appreciated!! Also if anyone has any yeast recommendation that will be appreciated as well!!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26699

This is well received here on the forum. Give it a try or steal a few techniques to help ya....

EDIT: Sorry I guess that doesn't really address the porter part... In the book "Extreme Brewing" there is a good pumpkin porter recipe. Google it and you'll find it. If not let me know and I will go dig up the recipe for ya, I have done it a few times but converted to all grain, and its really good but not over the top....

Actually just addressed this in another thread. Pumpkin itself won't contribute much flavor at all. Pumpkin Spice really is what gives pumpkin ales their flavor. If you used canned or pureed, beware of stuck sparge. Throw a healthy amount of rice hulls in there.

For yeast, I'm planning on using Wyeast London ESB strain this year. Gave a malty and very "soft" flavor when I used it. OrI might use Nottingham fermented at 62-64F. Notty is surprisingly clean and neutral at low temps

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26699

This is well received here on the forum. Give it a try or steal a few techniques to help ya....

EDIT: Sorry I guess that doesn't really address the porter part... In the book "Extreme Brewing" there is a good pumpkin porter recipe. Google it and you'll find it. If not let me know and I will go dig up the recipe for ya, I have done it a few times but converted to all grain, and its really good but not over the top....

Thanks for the advice and the link! I think I actually glazed over that pumpkin porter thread in my search for some grainbill tips but skipped past it because it wasn't AG. I might have to do my best to convert it to AG and see how it compares to the grainbill I came up with. I like the idea of caramelizing the pumpkin in the oven and using it in the mash. I like pumpkin ales that have a slight vegative flavor as well as the spice.

Actually just addressed this in another thread. Pumpkin itself won't contribute much flavor at all. Pumpkin Spice really is what gives pumpkin ales their flavor. If you used canned or pureed, beware of stuck sparge. Throw a healthy amount of rice hulls in there.

For yeast, I'm planning on using Wyeast London ESB strain this year. Gave a malty and very "soft" flavor when I used it. OrI might use Nottingham fermented at 62-64F. Notty is surprisingly clean and neutral at low temps

Thanks for the advice I was definitely planning on throwing a pound or two of rice hulls in my grainbill if I mash the pumpkin. Do you think that will be enough??
I can't decide if I want to go to the trouble of adding fresh caramelized pumpkin as well as a little spice or if I should make it a "Pumpkin Spice Porter" as I've heard it can be a messy endeavor. I have heard the pumpkin gives the beer a more 'creamy' mouthfeel. If I do go the fresh pumpkin route how much would be good to not overdue it but still let it shine through?
I am actually using that yeast in an ESB I am brewing today so I'll definitely test it out and see what I think. Is that a yeast you'd normally recommend for porters? I saw a lot of recipes used S-04 but have heard mixed reviews about it performance wise and diacteyl wise.

I'm going to give THIS a whirl this year. Going to sub Denny's Favorite (WY1450) for the yeast and Magnum for the bittering charge, might toss in a touch of smoked malt as well...

Very interesting link!! I have heard a lot about Carafa III and its use in "Black IPAs" but have never had any experience with it. Is it primarily used for head retention or flavor or both? I used Denny's Favorite in a summer milk stout I brewed recently and it turned out amazing. Very similar to the Deception Stout recipe on this website. I too was thinking of adding a little smoked malt and also some chocolate wheat to my grainbill. Let me know how yours comes along!

Thanks for the advice I was definitely planning on throwing a pound or two of rice hulls in my grainbill if I mash the pumpkin. Do you think that will be enough??
I can't decide if I want to go to the trouble of adding fresh caramelized pumpkin as well as a little spice or if I should make it a "Pumpkin Spice Porter" as I've heard it can be a messy endeavor. I have heard the pumpkin gives the beer a more 'creamy' mouthfeel. If I do go the fresh pumpkin route how much would be good to not overdue it but still let it shine through?
I am actually using that yeast in an ESB I am brewing today so I'll definitely test it out and see what I think. Is that a yeast you'd normally recommend for porters? I saw a lot of recipes used S-04 but have heard mixed reviews about it performance wise and diacteyl wise.

A pound should do, rice hulls are very light, so you get a lot more per pound than would with grains.

And I don't see any reason London ESB wouldn't work in porter. Try your finished ESB of course and see what you think.

As for US-04 I've had mixed results myself, but I'm pretty sure it comes down to temperature control. Dry yeast seems to be less forgiving at higher temperatures.

Another yeast I've considered for a pumpkin ale is White Labs American Ale Blend (WLP060). Ferments super clean, as close to a lager as you can get without lager yeast IMHO, but still leaves a decently malty finish.

A pound should do, rice hulls are very light, so you get a lot more per pound than would with grains.

And I don't see any reason London ESB wouldn't work in porter. Try your finished ESB of course and see what you think.

As for US-04 I've had mixed results myself, but I'm pretty sure it comes down to temperature control. Dry yeast seems to be less forgiving at higher temperatures.

Another yeast I've considered for a pumpkin ale is White Labs American Ale Blend (WLP060). Ferments super clean, as close to a lager as you can get without lager yeast IMHO, but still leaves a decently malty finish.

Thank you for your advice and yeast suggestions!

What are your thoughts on Denny's Favorite in a pumpkin porter?

Just for the continuation of the thread I will say as for the pumpkin I decided to basically follow this link: www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26699

I am going to add 60 oz of canned pumpkin with some pumpkin pie spices in it (caramelized in the oven on a cookie sheet at 350 for 20-30 minutes) to the mash. Then make a spice tea with the spices recommended and add to taste before bottling (I usually don't transfer to a secondary).

Ive made a sweet potato molasses porter that turned out well and ive had a few commercial pumpkin porters

my suggestion: use a can of sweet potato and a can of butternut squash in place of some of the pumpkin. They all have similar flavors but it will help round out the general squash character in the final beer. The spices are what will make it taste like a pumpkin beer. But those other squashes will really help the overal character

I've made my pumpkin porter a few times. Here's the recipe:

10 pounds Maris Otter
58 oz pure canned pumpkin (2 of the 29oz cans)
1 pound brown malt
1 pound chocolate malt
1 pound flaked oats
12 oz Crystal 60
8 oz black patent malt

Mash at 154 degrees. Rice hulls are a good idea.

1.5oz Northern Brewer at 60 minutes
0.5oz Northern Brewer at 0 minutes

Ferment with London ESB (Wyeast 1968)

Thank you for your advice and yeast suggestions!

What are your thoughts on Denny's Favorite in a pumpkin porter?

Just for the continuation of the thread I will say as for the pumpkin I decided to basically follow this link: www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26699

I am going to add 60 oz of canned pumpkin with some pumpkin pie spices in it (caramelized in the oven on a cookie sheet at 350 for 20-30 minutes) to the mash. Then make a spice tea with the spices recommended and add to taste before bottling (I usually don't transfer to a secondary).

Denny's should work find, it has a low attenuation so it should leave a good maltiness in the beer.

I've made my pumpkin porter a few times. Here's the recipe:

10 pounds Maris Otter
58 oz pure canned pumpkin (2 of the 29oz cans)
1 pound brown malt
1 pound chocolate malt
1 pound flaked oats
12 oz Crystal 60
8 oz black patent malt

Mash at 154 degrees. Rice hulls are a good idea.

1.5oz Northern Brewer at 60 minutes
0.5oz Northern Brewer at 0 minutes

Ferment with London ESB (Wyeast 1968)

Thanks for the recipe!! I think I am going to the grocery and LHBS to pick up the ingredients today.

I am torn between Denny's Favorite and the London ESB as far as yeast goes.

Have you ever added any chocolate wheat malt to a porter? I was thinking about adding a few ounces to see if I can taste a difference from the chocolate malt.

Back