Pumpkin Honey Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetitley2003

Reaction score
19/11/2016

900g honey
500g sugar
Fresh Pumpkin Flesh cut up and boiled, both flesh and boiled water added.

started this experiment at the end of Halloween as the shops were selling the pumpkins off super cheap even tho they were fresh.

So far brewing nicely.

this sounds delicious, thinking of starting it this October. Did you put pumpkin in at the start, or after first fermentation? How did it turn out?

Stumbeld across this thread! I would be super interested to know how this panned out. Think I might brew some this year but may add some spices. I'll post my recipe if I do! :)

Cannot figure out why the OP used sugar. No mention of yeast used and I would think that simply adding pumpkin flesh would not produce the flavor that is likely being sought after - not so much "pumpkin" (you could use any winter squash) but the spices associated with pumpkin pie (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and perhaps cloves).

Cannot figure out why the OP used sugar. No mention of yeast used and I would think that simply adding pumpkin flesh would not produce the flavor that is likely being sought after - not so much "pumpkin" (you could use any winter squash) but the spices associated with pumpkin pie (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and perhaps cloves).
I know this is an old thread, & the OP hasn't been seen since 9 days after he posted this, but, I can't help but wonder a few things about it myself. As well as the spices being absent, & whatever yeast was used, I'm curious how much more pumpkin flavor you could get if you were to cut up the pumpkin, then roast it vs. boiling it, & add it to primary. I believe you could get a lot more flavor out of the pumpkin that way. I have some pumpkin blossom honey that has a pumpkin spice mead written all over it.

My question is, is there a particular kind of pumpkin that should be used? Or is there a type that should be avoided?

Thank you, in advance, to ANYONE who takes time to answer this.
I have a funny feeling I'm going to be trying a tweeked by me version of this relatively soon, so it has a few months to age before fall of 2021 arrives.

In fall 2019 I made a pumpkin wine. The first think is to be sure to use an eating/pie pumpkin rather than a jack-o-lantern pumpkin. The flavor will be much better. I peeled, chopped, and simmered the pumpkin until it started to get soft. Then I let it cool, mashed it, and added both the pumpkin and liquid to the fermenter. I also added some typical pumpkin pie spices. I wasn't that excited about how it turned out, but I might eventually try it again.

In my opinion, you could use just about any winter squash and extract the same or very similar flavor and winter squashes seem to have a far longer shelf life than pumpkins (though, in fact, my understanding is that canned pumpkins are not literally pumpkins but whatever squashes are to hand). And as I suggest, the flavor one looks for in a pumpkin beer (and presumably a wine or mead) is the flavor from the associated spices and not the "pumpkin" itself.

Haven't tried it, but I've heard that if you are using real pumpkin, roasting, puree and then racking onto it in secondary is the best method for flavor. Or you could just be a cheater:
1614090846166.png

In my opinion, you could use just about any winter squash and extract the same or very similar flavor and winter squashes seem to have a far longer shelf life than pumpkins (though, in fact, my understanding is that canned pumpkins are not literally pumpkins but whatever squashes are to hand). And as I suggest, the flavor one looks for in a pumpkin beer (and presumably a wine or mead) is the flavor from the associated spices and not the "pumpkin" itself.
I think I will look into the winter squashes a little more closely.😉

In fall 2019 I made a pumpkin wine. The first think is to be sure to use an eating/pie pumpkin rather than a jack-o-lantern pumpkin. The flavor will be much better. I peeled, chopped, and simmered the pumpkin until it started to get soft. Then I let it cool, mashed it, and added both the pumpkin and liquid to the fermenter. I also added some typical pumpkin pie spices. I wasn't that excited about how it turned out, but I might eventually try it again.
I'm curious. How much liquid did you wind up losing with the mashed pumpkin? I was thinking the roasted chunks would be easier to remove if put in a brew bag & it would minimize the loss of precious mead.

Last edited:
We got it sometime around Halloween or maybe Thanksgiving ... and it's stayed good thru our mild SoCal winter... just roasted and pureed it last week..

Also, if anyone can answer, if I were to roast pumpkins or a squash, would/should they have the outer skins removed before going into primary?

Would there be any tannic values or would it cause a bitterness, like say orange pith does?
Thanks, in advance, for anybody's reply.

hmm... I've never tried it with leaving the skin on....

I've always either peeled before roasting if I want chunks, or roasted with skin on and then scraped out after for puree...

I wasn't sure, that's why I asked. This would be an experiment for me, as I have not yet worked with pumpkin or even any squash for that matter, for a mead. The thought of the puree makes me lean more towards the roasted chunks. I always try to minimize the loss of product, & I know the loss would be more with puree over chunks. I understand it creates more surface to ferment with puree, but, again, just trying to keep as much liquid gold as possible.

I've made pumpkin and muskmelon wines. There was no doubt as to what flavor they were (very strong), still good.

I've made pumpkin and muskmelon wines. There was no doubt as to what flavor they were (very strong), still good.
Never heard of muskmelon. Did you mix those 2 flavors together? Where did you get the muskmelon?

Might be a regional thing... I grew up in Appalachia and muskmelon was a pretty common name, though cantaloupe was maybe slightly more common
Cantaloupe is readily available here in New England. It shouldn't be a problem finding them. Thank you😁

Never heard of muskmelon. Did you mix those 2 flavors together? Where did you get the muskmelon?
I'm in Michigan. Muskmelon is also called Honey Dew; it grows very well up here. I didn't mix the two flavors. I 'experiment' with 'extra's' from the garden :)

I'm in Michigan. Muskmelon is also called Honey Dew; it grows very well up here. I didn't mix the two flavors. I 'experiment' with 'extra's' from the garden :)
There are many varieties of melon. What we call muskmelon have a rough off-white exterior that kinda looks like a net covering the light orange/yellow melon. I believe cantaloupes are smooth skinned and can be orangish or blue colored.

Dan, I have done a number of pumpkin beers, and a braggot. I cube the pumpkin, sprinkle it with brown sugar, and roast until it softens a bit. With the spices, I make a vodka tincture, and add to taste after fermentation.

There are many varieties of melon. What we call muskmelon have a rough off-white exterior that kinda looks like a net covering the light orange/yellow melon. I believe cantaloupes are smooth skinned and can be orangish or blue colored.
Cantaloupe has a rough exterior, but, the color of the skins are correct. Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it.

Dan, I have done a number of pumpkin beers, and a braggot. I cube the pumpkin, sprinkle it with brown sugar, and roast until it softens a bit. With the spices, I make a vodka tincture, and add to taste after fermentation.
I hadn't thought of using vodka for a tincture, but, it may be worth trying @ least once. Usually the only thing I use vodka for is my airlocks.

Back