Pumpkin Cider time!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNFirefly

Reaction score
I started a batch of Pumpkin cider this weekend. I used 2 cans of canned pumpkin, 2 lbs of brown sugar and a spiced tea made from clove, cinnamon, and fresh ginger as part of recipe. I used boiling water to melt the brown sugar and then added the canned pumpkin before adding the apple cider.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439848266.057815.jpg

Then I added the cooled ingredient mixture the disinfected jug before adding yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, and malic acid.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439848386.414053.jpg

Then I slowly add a packet of champagne yeast that had been pitched into warm water in accordance to the instructions before adding to the jug. Once I put the yeast into the jug, it only took about 45 minutes for the fermenting to start.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439848564.412842.jpg

After a few days, I am still getting a lot of flowing bubbling action while the yeast eats the sugars from the bottom downward.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439848803.209775.jpg

I am looking forward to a successful batch of cider.

I did a very similar recipe. I started mine on July 14th without adding any spices, just juice, black tea, raisins and some lime juice.

Then, on July 30th I racked to secondary on top of a syrup I made with 15oz pumpkin puree, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup granluated sugar, 2 cinnamon sticks, 5 whole allspice seeds, 1 clove (seen floating in the pic below), 1tsp chopped ginger and 1tsp vanilla. I did the same as you and combined it on the stove then added it to the carboy once it cooled and racked on top of it.

Here's mine after 20 days:
EzvFiNb.jpg

It sounds like you did your primary different than mine. I added the pumpkin in the beginning. I plan to add cinnamon stick to bring back the flavor along adding apple juice concentrate after racking.

how did this turn out!?

If I did this again I'd definitely NOT use actual pumpkin. It didn't lend anything to the cider. I'd just use the sugar and spices to get the same effect. The puree also was a pain at racking and I ended up losing a lot of cider due to the puree.

Back