Pumpkin ale... without pumpkin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
If I was to make a regular pumpkin ale recipe but just used spices and no pumpkin would I end up with a decent beer? Does the pumpkin add a huge amount of flavour?

I guess it wouldn't be authentic but I really don't have the time for stick sparges/ roasting pumpkin etc.

Thanks.

Sure! It certainly wouldn't be a pumpkin ale, but it would probably be fine. Just don't overdo the spices.

Pumpkin adds very little flavor, BUT, you can say you used pumpkin!

The majority of the flavor comes from the spices, and I also believe you get some starch conversion from the pumpkin as well.

I have made 4 pumpkin ales over the past few years. You get the least "pumpkin" flavor from the actual pumpkin. The spices will do just fine. Why would it not be a pumpkin ale? Its not a standardized style that defines you have to use actual pumpkin... If it taste like pumpkin and its a ale then its pumpkin ale.

Cool thanks.

Time is a real issue for me when I brew (new baby) so I didn't want a 3 hour sparge!
Crazy idea but could I boil the pumpkin in separate water then use that water to mash? I could do this ahead of time. Would it be worthwhile?

NewkyBrown said:
Cool thanks.

Time is a real issue for me when I brew (new baby) so I didn't want a 3 hour sparge!
Crazy idea but could I boil the pumpkin in separate water then use that water to mash? I could do this ahead of time. Would it be worthwhile?

I did something similar. I "dissolved" canned pumpkin in simmering water that I then past through a mesh strainer. I didn't use it to mash or sparge (actually did this while mashing). I just added it to the boil. Contributed a lot of orange color.

I've made several non-pumpkin beers. Good stuff.

If you do want pumpkin, but don't want the pre-boil hassle of dealing with it, put it in secondary with pumpkin.

Latest posts

Back