Pumpkin ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
I have a question regarding a pumpkin ale that I am planning on brewing next Saturday. I was planning on adding canned pumpkin. But i was wondering should i add it during the mash or the beginning of the boil. I figured canned pumpkin is mostly sugar but if im wrong ans its starch then I should do during thr mash rright?
If it is mostly starch will it lend more to flavor and mouthfeel if I add during the boil or would it just be a waste?
Thanks in advance!

When I made a pumpkin ale last year, I did it in the mash. The canned pumpkin I bought was with no sugar added, so it was really only adding in starches/mouthfeel to the beer--it left almost no pumpkin taste to the beer. Honestly in doing some searching on google and these forums, there are mixed opinions, so its really up to you. The spices you add into the beer, if you are doing so, will give it more flavor than the pumpkin ever will.

Just be sure its real pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix. I am sure you already knew that, but they are much different things.

I added mine into the boil last time. I felt I got some good pumpkin flavor out of it. Before putting in the boil though, I spread it out on a cookie sheet and baked it in the oven for 30-45 minutes I think at ~350 to get it to caramelize a little. I'll have to look at my notebook when I get home for exact details, but I feel like that helped bring out some of the flavor better.

I think I will try out caramelizing the pumpkin and adding it to the boil. I'm hoping to get more flavor from the pumpkin than just the spices added.

Yeah, I baked my canned pumpkin on a cookie sheet (350 deg. with a little water) until it was caramelized a bit then put it in cheesecloth and into the boil. Worked out very well and got quite a bit of pumpkin flavor.

I added about 75oz of canned pumpkin the last 10 min of the boil. I added the spices during the last 2min of the boil. I tasted the wort after cooling it and it tasted just like pie, delicious! I hope it remains the same flavor when I bottle.

Back