Pumpkin Ale... not real pumpkinie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trogdor447

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say the beer is 100% ready yet.. but its pretty darn close. I dont have much in the way of the pumpkin flavor. I am picking up the cinnamon and nutmeg flavors however. And the grains are lovely. Next time would it be more beneficial to use Pumpkin Spice over pumpkin extract?

Seems like it would be cheaper and more effective & efficient.

So did you use a pumpkin extract? I used nearly two tablespoons of pumpkin spice and then after about 10 days of fermenting, I tossed another 3/4 tablespoon of pumpkin spice. I detected pumping flavor before I did that but wanted more.

I think spices just before flame out is nice. I am doing extract brewing though.

I've used baked pumpkin, grilled pumpkin, and a S**tload of plain canned pumpkin, and I still hardly taste "pumpkin" flavor in my pumpkin beers. All you typically taste in pumpkin beers is indeed the Pumpkin Pie Spice that's usually added. With that said I'd say the grilled pumpkin was the only beer that actually seemed to kind of taste like pumpkin. The grill made it taste the way a jack'o'lantern smells when the candle burns the pumpkin. I certainly would recommend against using pumpkin extract for pumpkin beer.

I've used baked pumpkin, grilled pumpkin, and a S**tload of plain canned pumpkin, and I still hardly taste "pumpkin" flavor in my pumpkin beers. All you typically taste in pumpkin beers is indeed the Pumpkin Pie Spice that's usually added. With that said I'd say the grilled pumpkin was the only beer that actually seemed to kind of taste like pumpkin. The grill made it taste the way a jack'o'lantern smells when the candle burns the pumpkin. I certainly would recommend against using pumpkin extract for pumpkin beer.

Yea thats going to be in the back of my mind.. perhaps ill do another pumpkin ale.. Not real sure - I got the stout/wheat going right now.. About to bottle the wheat. Wondering what a good christmas ale will be. My fav is always sam adams winter brew :)

In my experience, using canned pumpkin which you then caramelize in the oven gives the most pumpkin flavor.

Back