Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastings

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of pump talks out there but I cant decide.

I want to get a pump to transfer wort from one kettle to another and then down the line use it for a recirculating mash. I'm going to getting the 1/2' snap on fittings for my pump and I need it to hold boiling temps because I will be transferring my boil as well, I'm doing a batch sparge so i need to pump out a few times.

I saw that the march 809 pump is popular but I have also seen the LG and a few others that don't dry out and you don't need too prime or bleed.

What do you guys thing I should get?

I've noticed that simmering under the false bottom causes air to build in the supply line to the 809 pump, and this eliminates the suction head (prime). If you plan to add heat by fire to your MLT, then you may have priming problems after the heat is going. I do keep the fire low and this minimizes the problem, but its not a true fix. Even with a true self priming pump, you will still get air in the pump supply line. I tend to keep the flow high, and use a 3/8 hose for the supply to mitigate the problem.

Other than that, I use the 809 for transferring finished wort through the chiller with no problems! It cleans easy too.

Back