Pump switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatDoc

Reaction score
So after reading alot of forums and looking around, can I use a power strip with the surge protecter switch on it? The same ones used for computers and behind most of our tvs? Is there a drawback to this? I mean it's got an on off switch and I can plug my pump into it....im just curious if there is a reason or not. Thanks guys!

That's how I did it for my first day with my pump. Then my chiller malfunctioned, blew off a fitting and blasted water on to it. Thank God for GFCI and proper building codes or my dad and I might have been fried.

I think when you do it that way you have a tendency to keep the strip close to where you are working, near the pump head, and chiller, and HLT, etc. Greater chance for splash.

I recommend a remote switch something like this. I got mine for about $5 after Christmas. Now my power strip and plug are safely away from my brewing, and I have the added convenience that the remote is always on me. No need to hunt for the strip.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other note, I brewed this weekend and kept the remote in my pocket as usual (very convenient). One bad thing was that several times I bent down to check something, the remote was triggered in my pocket, running my pump dry! I wore a jacket this time when in the past I've used a hoodie with a front pocket.

I'll have to stick with putting the remote in the hoodie pocket from now on to avoid pocket pumping (Git yer mind outta the gutter ye dogs!).

I brewed with this thing last night and today and it's awesome to have the remote. It is beyond convenient and worth the 15 bucks

Back