Pump for counterflow chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently use a gravity fed all-grain system. I've never had a need for a pump, but with my new CFC, I think I need one to get the flow started (it's worked without one, but I need to suck from one end to get the flow going from my boil kettle). Two questions:

1) Do I need to invest in a $150+ Chugger-type pump for this, or can I use a cheap food-grade pump from ebay?
2) Placement: Would I put it between my boil kettle and the CFC, or between the CFC and the fermenter?

I can't really speak to 1) - I use a "regular sized" pump, but then again, I use it for other purposes as well in my 2-tier setup.

As to 2), it would go between the kettle and CFC. Also, make sure you have a valve on the output of the CFC so you can "throttle" the wort going through the chiller. This time of year, I can usually let if rip full blast (sometimes I need to throttle the input of cold water to avoid over-chilling), but in the summer months I almost always have to throttle it back to get the CFC to chill quicker.

1) Do I need to invest in a $150+ Chugger-type pump for this, or can I use a cheap food-grade pump from ebay?

Either one would be fine.

2) Placement: Would I put it between my boil kettle and the CFC, or between the CFC and the fermenter?

Between the boil kettle and the chiller. But what I'm most concerned about is this:

I need one to get the flow started (it's worked without one, but I need to suck from one end to get the flow going from my boil kettle)

A pump won't start the flow for you - it has to already be primed. That is, you have to saturate the lines and the pump itself with liquid before you can even turn it on. It won't suck liquid through an empty line - there must already be liquid present in the line and pump.

Now, with that said, why would you need to "suck" on the line to get the flow started if you're using a gravity system? Do you not have an outlet and valve at the bottom of your boil kettle? Why couldn't you simply slip the hose on that barb, then open the kettle valve and allow the wort to flow down the hose to the pump or chiller?

Now, with that said, why would you need to "suck" on the line to get the flow started if you're using a gravity system? Do you not have an outlet and valve at the bottom of your boil kettle? Why couldn't you simply slip the hose on that barb, then open the kettle valve and allow the wort to flow down the hose to the pump or chiller?

I don't think I'm utilizing enough gravity.

I ended up picking up this guy. Now how the heck to do I wire it to plug it in? I build my own fermentation controller with the STC1000, but other than that, I don't have any experience with electrical wiring.

Old wall wart or laptop computer power supply that is 12v. Actually, anything 9-16 V would probably work as long as it matches the amperage requirement.

Old wall wart or laptop computer power supply that is 12v. Actually, anything 9-16 V would probably work as long as it matches the amperage requirement.

Holy crap. It worked.

Used an old AC adapter. Picked up some simple fittings from Home Depot. Tested it all out and it worked! Thanks again!

Back