Pump for basement sink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJay13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a pump to get waste water from a utility sink I'm installing in my basement. I saw some on Amazon that can handle solids (I'm thinking hops/tub/yeast gunk) but it looked like they were housed in a 6 gallon container--which I don't want in my sink cabinet or next to it if possible. Are there ones that I can plump inline inside the cabinet that will work and handle typical brewing solids? TIA!

sure, you're looking for a macerator pump. there are plenty of options, and a very common install for uhh, plumbing situations lower than your waste lines.

I think it's called a sewer ejector system.

I'd be cautious about sending large(r) amounts of "trub" down the sewer though.
Instead, compost trub, used hops, spent grain, etc. if you can.
As long as animals can't get to them. Hops are lethal to dogs (possibly other animals too).

Hops are lethal to dogs (possibly other animals too).
*can be.

hops, among other plants, can trigger a rare condition which the dogs have to already have the gene mutation for.

That being said, there's no way to know before hand, and also no reason to risk it.

I have a very small lot, with two dogs, and no place for composting unfortunately. I do compost spent grain in the bushes. I don’t brew a ton right now so I figure it’s free fertilizer.

I have a very small lot, with two dogs, and no place for composting unfortunately. I do compost spent grain in the bushes. I don’t brew a ton right now so I figure it’s free fertilizer.
Just put trub, spent hops, etc. in the trash. You could strain/squeeze out most of the liquid, so it's not soaking wet and dripping, if that would be an issue.
Definitely not down the sewer. Even garbage disposers are heavily frowned upon or even outlawed by wastewater treatment plants.

We often take spent grain to a small local farm and feed the goats and pigs. They love it.
So do chickens, if you have a neighbor raising or keeping them.

I use a hop bag In my kettle, that way I can dispose of the hops in the trash. I have a drain filter In my sink so that I get most of the big stuff.

where Will the waste water go? Are you adding the pipe work to you existing sewage line? Do you plan on having a hose go out a window? How high will the waste water need to go? How far will it need to go?

Guys....this is not a debate on my practices. I want to flush my hop and yeast matter down my drain just like the **** that comes out of my body. I don’t produce enough hop and yeast matter to make a difference in the local water plant. I just need to know what pump I can use to pump the waste water from the sink up to the main sewer rain of the house.

How about a 1/2 hp sump pump with float switch set in a bucket under the sink drain as a simple solution.
Needs a foot valve at the pump output, and tbh I have no idea if it would meet any applicable codes, but it should work just fine...

Cheers!

I've got one on my basement brewing sink. The pump sits beneath and next to the sink in the corner, and is pumps up and into the house waste plumbing.
It is not a macerator. I put trub and yeast through with no problems but do not do hops. Kettle trub with hops and dry hopped fermenter trub get dumped outside.
It's basically a covered bucket with a pump in it, and the outflow has a one way valve on it so that the water doesn't all drop back into the bucket after being pumped.

I have a Liberty 404. It’s about 14” in “diameter”, and 12” tall. I love it. It handles yeast and whatever gets down it. That’s probably not what you’re looking for. It works for me.
Cheers

To my understanding you want an injector/grinder pump that will handle solids to carry the waste water up and into a waste line. I have looked into these pumps in the past, just out of curiosity sine I have one in my basement, and they cost a lot more than a sump pump. If could take out the big particles, hop debris, then a sump pump would work.As far as an inline, I can not help with this. With adding a waste line to your sewer, you may want to make sure it is sealed, due to gasses.

The liberty 404 looks like it’s what I need. Can handle 3/8” solids which is more than enough if I don’t just dump thick yeast slurry or hop sludge right down the drain without water. Thanks for the help!

With over 30 years practicing as a wastewater engineer, I can tell you that a mascerating pump is probably not necessary. As long as you’re not putting large chunks down the drain, a sump pump or sewage pump is likely to be sufficient. The typical utility sink drain might allow a particle size of maybe a half inch to go down the drain. Those regular pumps will handle solids of that size.

How about a 1/2 hp sump pump with float switch set in a bucket under the sink drain as a simple solution.
Needs a foot valve at the pump output, and tbh I have no idea if it would meet any applicable codes, but it should work just fine...

Cheers!
I once used a lined 55G drum in an application similar to this to keep the pump from cycling frequently. The pump actuated when half full. If I did that today I'd add an alarm at 3/4 full or if a leak occurred.

I'm looking for recommendations for a pump to get waste water from a utility sink I'm installing in my basement. I saw some on Amazon that can handle solids (I'm thinking hops/tub/yeast gunk) but it looked like they were housed in a 6 gallon container--which I don't want in my sink cabinet or next to it if possible. Are there ones that I can plump inline inside the cabinet that will work and handle typical brewing solids? TIA!
I would go to a plumbing supply store as they have very good options. I installed on in my basement some time ago, might be a Zoeler product with a self contained cath basis but works flawlessly.

I also have a Liberty 404 pump on my basement utility sink. Hops and yeast trub go straight through the pump and into the septic tank - no issues after 4 years of service.

I have one of the Zoeller tub systems and its been fine for small amounts of stuff I can't avoid such as stuff I need to wash off parts, my BIAB bag, and my hands. However gravity is working against you, not for you with these systems so I'd worry about putting much solid matter down the drain as it may fall back down into the tub or worse on top of the check valve causing a blockage. Both the tub and on-demand systems have that check valve and I see that being a problem long term so I put a shutoff valve immediately above it to hold back the stuff in the vertical pipe for future servicing needs. I run the stuff that comes out of my fermenters either out to feed the compost pile or run it down the kitchen sink with lots of water to carry it all the way out to the sewer. My spent grain and the hop and trub matter from my kettle goes in a bucket for compost but I'd dewater it and put it in the trash if that wasn't an option.

Last edited:
The liberty pump is a good option. One thing to check is the heat rating of the pump. I almost bought an online pump to do the same thing, but it was limited to 120 degrees. I needed to handle hotter water. I believe the liberty is rated for 140.

I got a Simer 2935B pump that will go right under the sink itself hooked into the house waste stack. It comes with a steel cup filter that prevents big debris from entering the pump. The sink drain assembly itself also has such a screen to protect the pump. The Simer pump is similar to the Everbuilt LTS250A. It is temp limited to 120F, but its not like I will be dumping boiling wort down into it.

According to Amazon, I bought this Zoeller 2 years ago:
Zoeller 105-0001 Sump Pump, 12.50 x 14.50 x 14.50 inches, 19 Pound - - Amazon.com
1/2 solids. Better than the liberty pumps(IMO) and cheaper now then when I bought it.
I BIAB and most of the grain and hops either go in the trash or recycle but the trub/yeast from the fermenter go down the drain without issue. Some grain from rinsing bags goes down just fine. Mine is right next to my utility sink but you can put it anywhere gravity can feed it.
Keep in mind these types of pumps need to be vented.

They make smaller pumps that attach directly to the bottom of the utility sink.
Simer 2935B 1/3 HP Utility Sink Sump Pump - - Amazon.com
They don't need to be vented but the reviews seem to be all over the place.

If I were going to do it again I wouldn't change anything.

Back