pumkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truebrew2009

Reaction score
I'll be brewing a pumkin head . It best to use canned pumkin or hole cut up pumkin. What are the pros and con of each. thanks true:D

I have found for nose and balance canned seems to work best for me. The biggest mistake I've seen most brewers make is that they use regular old giant pumpkins. If you want to use real pumpkin use "pie pumpkin" tiny little things that are sweeter and easier to process. The canned is ready to go, smells great and it seems to me the sugars are easily reached by the yeast and it ferments out cleaner without as much pectin haze. This is just my opinion of course :)

Also - even if using canned pumpkin, make sure to roast it in your oven @350F for 30-60 minutes before you use it! This helps caramelize some of the sugars in the pumpkin, which makes the pumpkin a little less fermentable, making sure that some of the pumpkin flavor will be left in your finished product!

:mug:I was wondering the same thing. After tooo much research it all comes down to what you want your beer to taste like. I just used the canned pumpkin and concentrated on the spice profile.

Latest posts

Back