pull chain light in brew room electrified

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbear1

Reaction score
Hi all, this is probably stretching the definition of this forum, so if an admin wants to move it, please do so.

I bought a house a few months back and have been setting up an electric brew system in an unfinished part of the house. The pull chain light in the room, which has been working fine for the 3 months, has decided this week it wants to start shocking me. Current is definitely running through the chain, as both off and on I get a shock. I went ahead and turned off power to that room, but what could have changed to start doing this? Only thing I did was a month ago switch out the incandescent for an LED bulb.

Any thoughts?

Hi all, this is probably stretching the definition of this forum, so if an admin wants to move it, please do so.

I bought a house a few months back and have been setting up an electric brew system in an unfinished part of the house. The pull chain light in the room, which has been working fine for the 3 months, has decided this week it wants to start shocking me. Current is definitely running through the chain, as both off and on I get a shock. I went ahead and turned off power to that room, but what could have changed to start doing this? Only thing I did was a month ago switch out the incandescent for an LED bulb.

Any thoughts?

Base is not grounded, switch contacts are faulty and are shorting to ground. Which would be you.

Jump in the air before pulling the chain. No ground = no shock.

Check the pull switch, lamp holder, and make sure your blue and black wires are secure in their respective nuts.

Back