Psycho yeast (a story of unexpected explosive fermentation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worlddivides

Reaction score
OG of 1.041, pitching temperature of 69 degrees, current fermenting temperature of 65 degrees, 5 gallons in a 7 gallon carboy

AND THE YEASTIES ARE GOING INSANE.

Pitched on Friday and the fermentation took off immediately. On Saturday night I left to go to a party and when I came back the airlock was a huge pure white abomination with foam pouring out the top and spilling all over the carboy. I removed it, attached a blowoff tube, and put a big coffee mug under it. The mug filled up with yeasty liquid by the next day. I cleaned the mug and put it back. After four hours, there was no more than a couple drips in the mug, so I assumed the yeast had finished their psycho freakout and I put the airlock back on. Last night I woke up at 3:45 am and decided to check the airlock just in case... to find it full to the brim with solid yeast and overflowing with foam and liquid. I put the blowoff tube back on and cleaned out all the yeast from the airlock.

Now I know that you're supposed to use a blowoff tube for "high gravity beers" and that fermentation can go crazy at high temperatures, but I'm confused why the yeast is going so crazy at a 1.041 OG fermenting between 63F and 68F with originally over 2 gallons of headspace.

In my previous experience with crazy overflowing yeast, it usually only lasted for a few hours. This is the first time I've had one last for several days.

I would assume that this means the fermentation will end in a super duper short period of time (but it's still chugging away).

It's a good thing I have it inside the cool brewing "bag" since it's making such a mess. Scared of infection, but want to get the airlock on as soon as possible (which is seeming further and further away).

I pitched a big starter into a beer of about that gravity, fermented nicely. Checked on it in the morning and the cover blew off with the airlock. Sanitized everything and covered it back up, seemed to keep on happily bubbling away with no issues. From what I've read it seems hard to infect a vigorous fermentation so I'm not worrying yet

I pitched a big starter into a beer of about that gravity, fermented nicely. Checked on it in the morning and the cover blew off with the airlock. Sanitized everything and covered it back up, seemed to keep on happily bubbling away with no issues. From what I've read it seems hard to infect a vigorous fermentation so I'm not worrying yet

That's what I've heard too. It's just that I thought the fermentation had calmed down when I put the airlock back on only to find it full of yeast and overflowing in the early morning. So I'm wondering if the fermentation will REALLY calm down and maybe become infected then. Probably needless worrying on my part, but eh...

That Abbey Ale yeast is basically the mother in law of yeast... I had a beer do the same thing. Same yeast strain. It went NUTS for 3 days straight.

That Abbey Ale yeast is basically the mother in law of yeast... I had a beer do the same thing. Same yeast strain. It went NUTS for 3 days straight.

Yeah, it got even crazier after my last post.

After 6 hours of pretty much nothing from the blowoff tube, I switched back to the airlock. There was only one bubble every 3-5 seconds, so I thought it had finally started calming down. It seemed okay for about two or three hours before I went to bed, but when I woke up this morning I found about 2 inches of thick gooey yeast in the airlock and yeasty foam pouring out the top. When I pulled the airlock off, the foam had reached all the way to the top AGAIN (after having sunk back to the surface of the liquid yesterday). Thinking that this might happen, I had my blowoff tube equipment soaking in StarSan solution overnight, so I put it back on.

Seriously psycho yeast.

Moral of the story: *always* use a blowoff tube when dealing with a new recipe or yeast. Out of curiosity, did you do a starter, and if so, what size?

Moral of the story: *always* use an airlock when dealing with a new recipe or yeast. Out of curiosity, did you do a starter, and if so, what size?

No starter at all. That's what makes this yeast even crazier, considering all the factors involved!

I will say, though, that when I opened the vial it came in, it was the best smelling liquid yeast I've ever bought. So I expect some pretty good flavors and aromas in the end.

Yeah, it got even crazier after my last post.

After 6 hours of pretty much nothing from the blowoff tube, I switched back to the airlock. There was only one bubble every 3-5 seconds, so I thought it had finally started calming down. It seemed okay for about two or three hours before I went to bed, but when I woke up this morning I found about 2 inches of thick gooey yeast in the airlock and yeasty foam pouring out the top. When I pulled the airlock off, the foam had reached all the way to the top AGAIN (after having sunk back to the surface of the liquid yesterday). Thinking that this might happen, I had my blowoff tube equipment soaking in StarSan solution overnight, so I put it back on.

Seriously psycho yeast.

Dude, keep the blowoff tube on there. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I'm wondering if the increase in pressure from the airlock are having an effect on the yeast activity. Just conjecture.

Dude, keep the blowoff tube on there. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I'm wondering if the increase in pressure from the airlock are having an effect on the yeast activity. Just conjecture.

That's certainly a possibility. It's just that the fermentation is so active that I'm imagining that the fermentation should finish quite a bit sooner than usual. I'm just not sure when. With the blowoff tube on, I have no CO2 indicator and I can't see anything inside the carboy because every spec of glass is covered in foam.

Despite the risk of oxidizing, I'm planning on using a blowoff tube for the secondary fermentation since there will be less headspace and more fermentables to get into (fruit).

That's certainly a possibility. It's just that the fermentation is so active that I'm imagining that the fermentation should finish quite a bit sooner than usual. I'm just not sure when. With the blowoff tube on, I have no CO2 indicator and I can't see anything inside the carboy because every spec of glass is covered in foam.

Despite the risk of oxidizing, I'm planning on using a blowoff tube for the secondary fermentation since there will be less headspace and more fermentables to get into (fruit).

You do have the tube running into water, right? That way, it's just an oversized airlock, and you'll still see bubbling.

My amber ale I am getting to bottle blew my airlock off after two days, I had gone hunting and it was evident that the force had been something great as there was sticky mess up the wall behind it. Sanitized and put back. Nothing to indicate an infection yet and bottling tomorrow. odd thing for me is I accidentally pitched my yeast when the wort was sitting around 80 or 85 degrees F.

This was because i remembered to chill my boiled wort but forgot to let the boiled water I already had sterilized cool enough.

O well seems it didnt hurt the yeast at all!

Why are you even bothering with an airlock with a beer like that? I don't even use airlocks, and I don't see the point. A blowoff tube is the exact same thing in a bigger version, and will always cover your ass. I only use airlocks if I'm doing a secondary for dry-hopping or flavor additives.

I use blow offs for everything, after getting a krausen facial and cleaning up the mess, which was nice and moldy on the bottom of the carboy, I'll never not use a blow-off.

Why are you even bothering with an airlock with a beer like that? I don't even use airlocks, and I don't see the point. A blowoff tube is the exact same thing in a bigger version, and will always cover your ass. I only use airlocks if I'm doing a secondary for dry-hopping or flavor additives.

I use blow offs for everything, after getting a krausen facial and cleaning up the mess, which was nice and moldy on the bottom of the carboy, I'll never not use a blow-off.

I'm the same way. I find that 99% of the time I don't need one, but I'd rather use one than not. Better safe than sorry.

Why am I bothering with an airlock with a beer like what? A 1.041 OG beer? Because I've used airlocks on beers with much higher gravities without any overflow before. This isn't the first time I've had to use a blowoff tube before, but it is the first time I've had to use a blowoff tube on a beer with an OG below 1.060.

You do have the tube running into water, right? That way, it's just an oversized airlock, and you'll still see bubbling.

I don't. My blow-off tube is not long enough to put the end in water.

Why am I bothering with an airlock with a beer like what? A 1.041 OG beer? Because I've used airlocks on beers with much higher gravities without any overflow before. This isn't the first time I've had to use a blowoff tube before, but it is the first time I've had to use a blowoff tube on a beer with an OG below 1.060.

I don't. My blow-off tube is not long enough to put the end in water.
Put a chair (or similar) next to your fermenter so that it is high enough to put a container of sanitizer close enough for your blow-off tube to reach.

Hence this:

Moral of the story: *always* use a blowoff tube when dealing with a new recipe or yeast.

Put a chair (or similar) next to your fermenter so that it is high enough to put a container of sanitizer close enough for your blow-off tube to reach.

I think I'll try that tonight. Thanks.

By the way, that Andes Mint Chocolate Stout in your signature sounds amazing.

I think I'll try that tonight. Thanks.

By the way, that Andes Mint Chocolate Stout in your signature sounds amazing.
I've never done it myself, but I've been looking at pictures of fermentation chambers and have seen it done like that numerous times.

The hydro sample from the mint chocolate stout was delicious. It was like drinking an ever so slightly hopped Thin Mint cookie. I was sad when it was gone. You can find the recipe here. I did a PM version with a small addition of lactose. I might delay the other two beers I have planned and make another batch right away since I was planning to give some as Christmas gifts and want to have more on hand for the winter.

I've used this strain 3 times now and every single damn time it's needed a blowoff. I now just know to hook one up from the start no matter what gravity or how much headspace. This is also the only yeast I've seen ramp up, have krausen fall, and kick back up a day later. It's bipolar

Yeah, this has been a very unusual and eye-opening experience for me as well. If I use this yeast on another batch in the future, I will make sure to have a longer blow-off tube and to use it from the beginning.

The bipolar part is so true and so bizarre. There have been 2-3 times now that I've thought the fermentation was calming down because the krausen had fallen, only to have it ramp up again (and again... and again).

For anyone who's used this yeast before with these kinds of experiences, how long does total fermentation usually last? (It's been 4 days since fermentation started in my batch and things are still going relatively strong)

I've never done it myself, but I've been looking at pictures of fermentation chambers and have seen it done like that numerous times.

The hydro sample from the mint chocolate stout was delicious. It was like drinking an ever so slightly hopped Thin Mint cookie. I was sad when it was gone. You can find the recipe here. I did a PM version with a small addition of lactose. I might delay the other two beers I have planned and make another batch right away since I was planning to give some as Christmas gifts and want to have more on hand for the winter.

Nice. That is definitely one of the most interesting recipes I've seen in a while. I think I'd like to try that out next year (I have a few brews lined up already).

Yeah, this has been a very unusual and eye-opening experience for me as well. If I use this yeast on another batch in the future, I will make sure to have a longer blow-off tube and to use it from the beginning.

The bipolar part is so true and so bizarre. There have been 2-3 times now that I've thought the fermentation was calming down because the krausen had fallen, only to have it ramp up again (and again... and again).

For anyone who's used this yeast before with these kinds of experiences, how long does total fermentation usually last? (It's been 4 days since fermentation started in my batch and things are still going relatively strong)

I'd say its still normal for what youd expect given the gravity you pitch it in. I've only used it in strong belgians 1.075 and up. They all finished in less than 20 days

fermcap :)

**** works!

I just looked that up. I had no idea anything like that existed. That looks amazing. It would certainly be the easiest and most convenient solution. Very cheap too.

Does it have any effect on flavor? I assume not since it's in such a small amount and none of the sites selling it mentioned anything, but worth asking.

I wonder why more people aren't using this instead of blow-off tubes. :fro:

I just looked that up. I had no idea anything like that existed. That looks amazing. It would certainly be the easiest and most convenient solution. Very cheap too.

Does it have any effect on flavor? I assume not since it's in such a small amount and none of the sites selling it mentioned anything, but worth asking.

I wonder why more people aren't using this instead of blow-off tubes. :fro:

I never used it before until I brewed while camping a month ago. I did so as to not have a erupting wort on the drive home. I add it to the boil and boy it does a great job of reducing boil over. I have Not noticed much of a flavor change. they claim it will increase IBU but not to sure on that. I have used it about 8 times now. the damn bottle never ends.

And i would assume people dont use it as its just one more additive in the beer. Less natural, I dont know. Plus its another added cost. When using strains I know are going to cause an eruption I go for it.

I never used it before until I brewed while camping a month ago. I did so as to not have a erupting wort on the drive home. I add it to the boil and boy it does a great job of reducing boil over. I have Not noticed much of a flavor change. they claim it will increase IBU but not to sure on that. I have used it about 8 times now. the damn bottle never ends.

And i would assume people dont use it as its just one more additive in the beer. Less natural, I dont know. Plus its another added cost. When using strains I know are going to cause an eruption I go for it.

It's obviously too late to use it on my current batch, but I'll definitely buy some in the near future and use it whenever I use new yeast, yeast I know to be super active, and any high gravity beers.

At $3-4 a bottle, it really looks worth it to me. :mug:

Back