Protein rest for a hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
I'm planning on making another hefeweizen. The recipe will be something like this:

40% pilsner
60% light wheat
Hallertauer hersbrucker hops
Wyeast 3068

I plan on doing a decoction mash because I've heard thats what the Germans traditionally used. For the last hefeweizen I made, I did not do a protein rest. The recipe was a little surprising because most beers I've made with pilsner malt have required a protein rest. I was assuming that it was because perhaps you want the protein flavor and cloudiness in a hefeweizen. I beginning to think maybe my current hefe has too much protein, though (not that I know really how it effects the flavor). Should I do a protein rest for my next hefeweizen, perhaps 20 min @ 122?

I brewed my first Hef last Sunday. It was a Widmer clone from the recipe section here. It called for a 30 minute protein rest at 122*, so that's what I did. I had 50% 2-row, 40% wheat malt, 7% Munich malt and 3% 40L crystal malt.

I'm not exactly sure if a protein rest is needed or why. This was my first wheat beer ever, so I will figure out when I start drinking it if it was needed or not. I also had several other issues with my brew. So I will probably brew it again, properly this time, and still use a protein rest again, just to see what it was supposed to be like when a proper mash schedule is followed.

Good luck.

Back