Protein rest and clarity....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1n

Reaction score
So how much does a protein rest help with clarity?

ive never done one before, i only single infusion mash. was wondering if its worth it and if it makes a difference?

I use WhirlFloc and gelatin for clarity and my beers are clear but ive noticed that if i pour a commercial beer next to my beer the commercial beer is just a tad more clear than mine. both are clear but i can see a slight difference. I normally dont care for ales but lagers i want it to be super clear.

So how much does a protein rest help with clarity?

ive never done one before, i only single infusion mash. was wondering if its worth it and if it makes a difference?

I use WhirlFloc and gelatin for clarity and my beers are clear but ive noticed that if i pour a commercial beer next to my beer the commercial beer is just a tad more clear than mine. both are clear but i can see a slight difference. I normally dont care for ales but lagers i want it to be super clear.

I think clarity, on a commercial scale, is achieved through various forms of filtering and not a protein rest.

On the homebrew scale it doesn't hurt to experiment with step mashing if your so inclined. I have done it a few times just to see if I could do it and it was fun, but ultimately, probably not necessary.

I'm not sure if a protein rest makes a big difference in clarity. I think it is primarily to help with conversion of certain malts (pilsner, wheat). However, cold crashing definitely helps with clarity.

I don't think a protein rest will do anything for clarity that proper use of finings won't. With a straight single infusion mash, my Kolsch and my Altbier both come out near filtered clarity, because I hit them with gelatin at the end of lagering.

For me, protein rests are more for grain bills with a lot of adjuncts (unmalted/flaked anything, wheat malt, or rye malt), because I find in addition to maybe a point or two higher efficiency (I believe it has something to do with starch that gets bound in protein being released, I don't recall exactly), but moreso it makes lautering easier so I usually don't need rice hulls. If I'm using 10% or so I don't bother. But once I get above 20% it seems to help.

If you decide to do it, keep it short (10-15mins) at the higher end (133F) which will result in more medium sized proteins. Doing it like this, you will likely avoid wrecking body and head retention.

I've done one recently for a slightly undermodified weyerman's floor malted bohemian pilsner (used this malt for the first time though), and I got the clarity and head retention that I never managed to achieve before. In addition to this, I only use 1/2 tsp Irish moss 15 minutes to the end of the boil. No cold crashing or anything, the beer cleared out at 70F in the basement while bottle conditioning.

Latest posts

Back