Pros' help needed about CO2 Regulator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingStone

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought this CO2 regulator on ebay and then during my search about how to use it etc. I found out there are 2 types of regulators: flow and pressure regulators. Now, I am wondering if someone could tell me what type this regulator is and if it is safe to use for homebrew.

Also, there is lb/in2 instead of PSI and I assume it is the same thing but I am not good imperial units and I would appreciate it if you could confirm.

and finally, the outlet is quite smaller for 3/8 john guest that I bought. How could I find out what size is this one?

IMG_7334.JPG

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7334.JPG
    IMG_7334.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 44
Not knowing that particular gauge I would google the model to see if you can find something.

Looking at the low pressure gauge scale it does say lb/in (the same thing as the high pressure gauge). To me, that means pressure, not flow. I believe a flow gauge would say something like ltr/min. Use the inside scale.

PSI is an abbreviation for "pounds per square inch" - "lb/in^2" is just another way of abbreviating it, they mean the same thing :)

Also, this particular gauge is scaled rather high for keg use - the markings are in 4 PSI increments, which is a pretty big swing for kegging. Not saying it won't work but you'll have to be careful not to over/under carb (and don't crank it to 100 LOL)

Last edited:
PSI is an abbreviation for "pounds per square inch" - "lb/in^2" is just another way of abbreviating it, they mean the same thing :)

Also, this particular gauge is scaled rather high for keg use - the markings are in 4 PSI increments, which is a pretty big swing for kegging. Not saying it won't work but you'll have to be careful not to over/under carb (and don't crank it to 100 LOL)

Thank you for all the info. My target is to get 11 psi so I assume slightly under 12 will do the job.

I need to find out about dispensing pressure though if it is meant to be lower, that might be a bit tricky.

I need to find out about dispensing pressure though if it is meant to be lower, that might be a bit tricky.
Have a look around at some of the 'balancing your keg system' threads here or related articles - you want to match your lines so your dispensing pressure is the same as the target carbonation pressure - otherwise the carbonation level of the beer will rise or fall to match your serving pressure.

I will admit that a few weeks ago I was using my girlfriend's auto pump and I Googled the conversion from lb/in^2 to PSI. :( In my defense, the scale of the guage was clearly not actually in PSI.

My two regulators are scaled from 0-60 PSI for the dispensing gauge. If this gauge did not come with one, you might need to track down an adaptor to attach a barb/hose to the output end and also a shut off valve.

I would take it in to a shop and ask a professional. Someone who works in that line of work will let you know exactly what you have and if you can use it .

I will admit that a few weeks ago I was using my girlfriend's auto pump and I Googled the conversion from lb/in^2 to PSI. :( In my defense, the scale of the guage was clearly not actually in PSI.

My two regulators are scaled from 0-60 PSI for the dispensing gauge. If this gauge did not come with one, you might need to track down an adaptor to attach a barb/hose to the output end and also a shut off valve.
If you were using a car pump then you probably seriously oxygenated your beer. It's a good thing you have CO2. That won't be a problem anymore

From the ranges of the gauges and the indices I would say that is a regulator intended for use with welding gasses; oxygen, in particular.

I’d agree that that particular regulator was probably intended for industrial use but will work just fine for dispensing beer. It has the proper CGA320 stem to attach to a CO2 tank. I used to work in a welding shop and both of my beer regulators were bought at a welding supply company... they are all the same. Just replace the low pressure gauge with one like this
95EEF580-07C6-4104-B76A-9CC227035A96.jpeg
for more accurate readings for your dispensing pressure. As far as your John Guest fitting, you just need one with 1/4” male NPT threads for the regulator outlet.

I’d agree that that particular regulator was probably intended for industrial use but will work just fine for dispensing beer. It has the proper CGA320 stem to attach to a CO2 tank. I used to work in a welding shop and both of my beer regulators were bought at a welding supply company... they are all the same. Just replace the low pressure gauge with one like this
View attachment 632085
for more accurate readings for your dispensing pressure. As far as your John Guest fitting, you just need one with 1/4” male NPT threads for the regulator outlet.

I didn't mean to imply the regulator wouldn't work in a keg system; I was just pointing out the reason why the gauges displays were different from what is usually found on beer dispensing regulators.

Latest posts

Back