Proper use of the hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamhimself

Reaction score
So, as I am still new to this... I have discovered the hydrometer needs to have the wort/beer/water/liquid at a temp of 60 degrees to measure properly. There are adjustment counts on this slip of paper that came with they hydrometer. Now, I'm feeling that I may have measured my OG and other gravities improperly. Is this so? I usually measure around 65-70 degrees F. If that's true, then what is the difference I should use?

And one last thing: if my gravity was off, and only by a few small points, then what would be the consequences of that?

The change in readings is usually quite small. Only about a point per 5 degrees for most situations. Here is a good calculator that will give you the corrected readings, but also statistics based off the temperature corrected readings: http://www.brewheads.com/stats.php. Most tools like beersmith will have a conversion tool, as well. One or two SG points off shouldn't really impact much of anything.

The closer you are to 60F the more accurate your reading will be. Some hydrometers are calibrated at 68F but not typical. If you aren't at 60F simply take a temp reading with the hydrometer reading and correct for it. The error with this method gets bigger the further you are from 60F.

It's also just as important to check your hydrometer at 60F with water to make sure it's reading at 1.000 as most do not and the difference needs to be added or subtracted to every reading for a true reading of wort/beer. Technically distilled or RO water is best for this as it dosen't have dissolved solids in it but that's getting precise. My hydrometer is a full 4 points off and I have to add this to every reading.

Back