Proper temperature for bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NScooknet

Reaction score
Hey, I've got a question about bottling.

My beer is now bottled, and sitting at "room temperature" in a dark place in a cupboard, the problem is that the room is kinda cool, tonight, it's dropped down to about 60 degrees or so, so I turned the heater on to hopefully bring it up a bit to around the recommended 68 degrees. It's a "Brew Store" brand IPA kit, and it's my very 1st batch ever.

My question is what happens to the bottled beer if the temperature falls too cold while it is carbonating? It's only been in the bottles for 2 days now, and I want to assure it doesn't get wrecked, so I'm wondering if it gets too cold will the yeast go dormant and the beer not cabonate?

What is the very lowest temperature the beer can fall to while new in bottles before something negative happens to it?

This answer is probably here in this forum somewhere, so my apologies for asking if it's already been asked.

Thanks!
Chris ;)

It takes longer to carb. I try to keep my bottled beers within the yeast temp range. Now forget about them for 19 more days and brew another batch.

It's fine. All that will happen if the temperature drops is that the yeast will go dormant and stop carbonating. When the temperature rises again, so will the yeast (just try not to have too many cycles of that).

If you can hold your beer between 60 and 70 for a few weeks, it should carbonate fully. If you can keep it above 70, it will carbonate faster. I assume twice as fast at 70 as at 63.

As for question 2: freezing. Don't let the beer freeze, unless you want a freezer covered in exploded beer and glass!

That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks for that, and sorry once again if it's already here on this forum somewhere, I am definitely "search challenged" at best...lol.

Since I'm totally new at this, I actually opened one bottle after only one day of being bottled to see what had happened to the beer, and to see how it tasted, so that I will be able to identify by taste the various stages of the beer development, and be able to judge good from bad, I figured it couldn't possibly be any worse than after only one day!

I was shocked to see that there were already bubbles in the beer, it tasted somewhat fizzy a bit, and there was a tiny bit of head already, but best of all, it tasted not bad!

This leads me to believe it might taste really good when actually finished, yippee!!

I'll try another bottle in another week to compare, and then another week after that.

Yeah, I need to get another batch going now, it's heartbreaking seeing the empty fermenters sitting there, I'm just trying to decide what to do next, and since my local supply store is very limited, to only "the Brew Store", and Coopers cans, I'm trying to weigh the cost of each against the final outcome, and whether it's worth it or not to cheap out on the Coopers which is only $18.99 compared to the Brew store brand.

Maybe I should try the Coopers so i can see how much better the Brew Store is for comparison, I dunno....sigh.

Thanks!
Chris;)

That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks for that, and sorry once again if it's already here on this forum somewhere, I am definitely "search challenged" at best...lol.

Since I'm totally new at this, I actually opened one bottle after only one day of being bottled to see what had happened to the beer, and to see how it tasted, so that I will be able to identify by taste the various stages of the beer development, and be able to judge good from bad, I figured it couldn't possibly be any worse than after only one day!

I was shocked to see that there were already bubbles in the beer, it tasted somewhat fizzy a bit, and there was a tiny bit of head already, but best of all, it tasted not bad!

This leads me to believe it might taste really good when actually finished, yippee!!

I'll try another bottle in another week to compare, and then another week after that.

Yeah, I need to get another batch going now, it's heartbreaking seeing the empty fermenters sitting there, I'm just trying to decide what to do next, and since my local supply store is very limited, to only "the Brew Store", and Coopers cans, I'm trying to weigh the cost of each against the final outcome, and whether it's worth it or not to cheap out on the Coopers which is only $18.99 compared to the Brew store brand.

Maybe I should try the Coopers so i can see how much better the Brew Store is for comparison, I dunno....sigh.

Thanks!
Chris;)

Being a new brewer myself, I understand your desire to see where your beer is at after bottling. We kind of did the same thing, tried one after 1 week, then 2 weeks, then 3 weeks.
After this initial test we decided not to ever do that again, just to wait at least 3 weeks before deciding if it is ready to drink or not, and a new motto was born.
"We shall drink no beer before it's time"

Sounds like the Alexander Keith's motto:

"Slowly, carefully, Taking the time to get it right"...LOL

I can tell my tastes are evolving, after tasting many many Many micro brewed beers at the beer shows and also the ones available on the west coast, I no longer seem to like Keith's which I all but worshiped previously!

Doh!

Chris ;)

Back