Proper grain steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty

Reaction score
I have done a search on this on the site and still have some specific questions regarding steeping.

1) When heating to 160 or so, and then turning off the heat, is it okay to cover it, or will that trap some off flavors that need to come out?

2) Also, do I need to make sure that the temp stays above 150 for a good extraction of sugars? (When brewing today, I noticed after about 15 minutes, that the temp dropped to 144 so I turned on the heat again to hold it around 160 - just wondering if that is really necessary)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Steeping is pretty simple. Keep it below 170, and give it a good dip'n'dunk when you're done. Covered is fine, but not necessary. Precise temp control isn't necessary.

I've seen that some people put the grains in as the water is heating. What I do is heat the water to about 155-160 then put in the grains for 20min with the cover on. When it's done, I squeeze the heck out of the bag to get all the goodness out.

I generally try to keep it about the mid 150s. Heat it up to 160 or so, then drop the grains in. They'll drop the temp down a bit, so it kind of all evens out. I throw it into the oven to moderate the temp. I have a wired remote thermo. sitting next to the stove, so I can monitor. Drain thoroughly. Re-steep (?) in 170°F water for another 10 minutes or so. Drain, (insert other steps here) then it's off to the boil! I don't think it's necessary to keep the temps +/- .5°. I mean, beer had been made for thousands of years without any instruments calibrated to NIST standards....:D

1) AFAIK those off flavors are caused by a susbstance that boils off during your boil. (DMS, dimethyl sulfide, I believe?). It's important to ahve your lid off during the boil, but not necessary for the mash. I find a good lid helps regulate temps to where I don't have to adjust temperature nearly as much.

2) I usually shoot for a temperature range between 144*F and 152*. AFAIK, each grain is slightly different when it comes to starch conversion. Too hot and you'll get tannins, too cold, and you won't get any simple sugars. No need to keep it exact, but try to keep it somewhat consistent, if for no other reason than trying to improve your process and final product.

my $.02

Lower temperatures (148-ish) are sometimes used along with a longer mash time, to say nothing of step-mashing. What you DON'T want is to have a mash above 170, as that's where tannins start to get loose.

Thank you for all this perspective on steeping!

I finally made an important connection here. I have brewed four times on my own (extract with grain), and four times with an experienced brewer (all-grain). It wasn't until now that I realized that steeping grains is essentially the same as mashing in all-grain. And knowing that you cover the mash tun means that, of course, I can cover the pot while steeping! So that will help regulate temp as well.

Like reading 'How to Brew', I appreciate being given temperature ranges instead of a specific number. Much more forgiving. I realize with all-grain, the target is a specific number, but I am certainly not there yet!

There are important differences from mashing, too, though. If you are steeping darker crystal or roasted malts, for example, you aren't getting any of the enzymatic conversion that defines a mash.

There are important differences from mashing, too, though. If you are steeping darker crystal or roasted malts, for example, you aren't getting any of the enzymatic conversion that defines a mash.

This. You're just getting the flavour out of the grains :)

Back