Proper brewing temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodHokie4

Reaction score
Hi gang

I'm brewing my 1st batch of kambucha in about 2 years. (I had a really strong continuous Brew system that I kept going successfully for about 6-8 months the last time). I pitched my cultures from 2 different commercial bottles with 2 different strains about a week ago and have kept the jug in my basement as I nice cool and dark place. I know I need to wait another week or two at least to see real activity, but I'm worried that the temperature may be too low for the bacteria to do their thing. My infrared thermometer is showing 60 degrees. From what I understood 65 to 85 is ideal. is the batch brewing too cold, or should I just expect results to be a little delayed?

Thanks in advance!

You want to have it quite a bit warmer- at colder temperatures sometimes unwanted bacteria and mold can take hold. You should be ok as long as you used enough starter tea to lower the pH, but I”d get it much warmer right away.

In the winter i've gotten as low as 65* and the result was quite sour. My sweet spot is 74* for ~21 days. At 80* it finishes too fast and is also slightly more sour then the ferment at 74*

I keep my first ferment at 78-80°f for about 7-8 days. For my second ferment I drop it down to 70-74°f for approx. 3 days.

Obviously, these temps, and fermenting times change based on the recipe I'm using

Back