Propane to Natural Gas Burner Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
I have a 3 burner brew system with 10" banjo burners that I think are Bayou brand burners ( its a custom built brew system I bought) and I am looking at converting to natural gas. Do I just need to change the orifice on each burner or is there something else I need to do? Can Bayou burners be converted? Where do I find the parts? I can not find much info on how of if this can be done. I have read that drilling out the orifice is not recommended. Any help would be appreciated.

I converted mine by drilling out the propane orafice so I can’t go back without the part. I ended up drilling it progressively larger each time as it didn’t have enough heat until the last drill which was as large as I could go.

When in doubt, contact the manufacturer and explain to them what you want to do.
Should be a tech support number for Banjo burners out there.

A number of companies sell a conversion orifice for Hurricane/BG14 burners.
This version is popular as it has an integrated valve.
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/14-NPT-HURRICANE-NATURAL-GAS-CONVERSION-VALVE-P2214.aspx

Cheers!

The Williams page stresses "For Outdoor Use Only," trippr. I've kind of always back-burnered (ha - seriously, not intended) natural gas, as a way to bring it all inside. Is this warning a factual one, or is it liability-shielding? I'd thought lots of people converted over, in order to burn inside?

We run a gas range here, and like any well-designed gas appliance it burns extraordinarily clean.

In contrast the BG14 and Hurricane were not designed to run on 7-11" WC pressure NG found in domestic systems.
As a result every NG conversion example I've seen runs rich - unless forced induction air is added.
I would be hesitant to run one of those conversions indoors.

So, while normally I'd say it was simple CYA legalese, in this case there could be substance behind it...

Cheers!

Back