propane tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born Brewing Co.

Reaction score
I am always worried that I will run out of propane during my brew session. So, I figured out some weights of my propane tank. I just set the tank on the bathroom scale to figure things out. I don't trust the strips on the side of the tank to tell me empty levels.

empty tank: 17.5 lbs
full tank: 38 lbs.

So, when I weigh the tank after a few brews and it weights 20 lbs. I know I need to get in and get it filled. I'll probably invest in a second tank to have on hand just in case.

Born Brewing Co. said:
I am always worried that I will run out of propane during my brew session. So, I figured out some weights of my propane tank. I just set the tank on the bathroom scale to figure things out. I don't trust the strips on the side of the tank to tell me empty levels.

empty tank: 17.5 lbs
full tank: 38 lbs.

So, when I weigh the tank after a few brews and it weights 20 lbs. I know I need to get in and get it filled. I'll probably invest in a second tank to have on hand just in case.

Hey, that's good info. I'm too lazy to do such things. I'm assuming that's without the regulator and hose attached?

right Sam, no regulator or hose...just the tank. Standard tank like what you would have on a gas grill. I use it on the turkey fryer...granted I've never boiled a turkey, just brew.

sudsmonkey said:
Get a bigger (100lb.) tank, or better yet, tap into your supply line to the house, if you have gas service. You'd never have to worry about running out again.
Will a propane burner work with natural gas?

Good info!

I read somewhere that a standard 20 lb. tank will give you about four brew sessions, on average. I just did my fourth over the weekend, so I might be due.

I think what when I get a refilled tank, I'll weigh it, brew, then weigh it afterwards. Then I'll know how many sessions per tank (SPT?) is average for me!

To see how much gas is still in the tank pour a glass of hot water down the side and feel the tank from top to bottom. you will feel the level of the gas as a cold area. the hot liquid will heat the metal of the tank but when there is gas in contact with the metal it will absorb the heat and make the metal cold.

AHammer16 said:
To see how much gas is still in the tank pour a glass of hot water down the side and feel the tank from top to bottom. you will feel the level of the gas as a cold area. the hot liquid will heat the metal of the tank but when there is gas in contact with the metal it will absorb the heat and make the metal cold.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I tried the hot water trick using some 170oF sparge water last weekend, but the goofy visual 'temp guage' they stick on the side of the tank was impossible to read. I never thought to just feel it!

Thanks!

You can drill out the orifice for natural gas however it still won't burn quite as hot do the the extra molecule in Propane. How big to drill ?? I don' t know, but it can be researched online or at the local HBS. That is the only difference in natural vs propane. though the orifice.

Natural gas has some drawbacks. The gas supply at your house is at such a low pressure that you really need a specialty burner to make it worth while. Here is what I mean:

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15235

The low pressure means that the flame is susceptible to wind, so a wind screen would be in order. A friend of mine has this model and it seems to leave a lot of black soot behind, but perhaps he just isn't getting efficient combustion. I'll stick with propane.

Prosit!

Yes; I'd appreciate it if y'all would stick with propane and propane accessories. Thank you.
HankHill.jpg

normally i'll spray my tank with water while i'm boiling - and note the condensation line on the tank...but weighing seems more acurate. if i did run out in the middle of a boil - it would take me about 5 minutes to get back to the boil. there's a rhino tank dispenser on just about every corner around these parts.

Back