Propane ran out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle686edward

Reaction score
almost hit hot break and my propane ran out. i cooled the wort as i would after boil and put it in a sanitized FV. i plan on boiling tomorrow when i get propane. anyone had this problem and still had a good beer?

I dont know,
It was almost to a full boil, so whether that was enough to kill any nasties or not, I know wort is generally full of nasties.
Sorry i couldn't help, but its a great question, i would like to know the answer, im always forgetting about the tank.
Good luck.
Dan

You should be fine. My only similar experience with this was a wort share competition a local brewery held--they made up about 500 gallons of wort, brought it to boiling to sanitize, then cooled for distribution to homebrewers waiting in line with their own carboys, buckets, corneys. Everyone brewed either that day or the next on their own systems.

After this event, I'm sure you'll always have a spare propane tank!

Bugs will not be a problem, you would have pasteurized it, even if you hadn't got to a boil. I would only worry if you'd done your mid-late addition and would get unwanted isomerization.

Back