Propane Consumption?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowlingHog

Reaction score
I have three burners on my brewcart. Two are the small diameter "turkey burner type" and one is a larger "banjo" type.

Bought it from a guy who fabricated it in Denver.

Churned through two tanks of propane brewing the other night. When gas got low, the flames really sputtered. Switched tanks and it was good again.

Heated 3 keggles, essentially full and brewed two 10 gallon batches for 60 minutes.

Is this a lot of gas or what one might expect?

Not sure exactly, but I have 2 burners. One is a turkey fryer burner and the other is a Bayou Classic SP10. I use 2 BBQ sized propane tanks and use them also for the grill. I get at least five 5 gallon brews before I have to fill one of the tanks. They are on different schedules so I always have at least a full tanks worth in the two of them.

So I am getting at least 25 gallons a tank.

I'm somewhat wasteful, as I heat my clean-up water in my HLT and BK. That said, I get 3-1/2 10 gallon batches per 40 pound tank. It dies 1/2 through the 4th brew. I do always keep a filled 20 pounder as a spare. I run two Blichmann burners, HLT - 20 gallons per batch, and BK about 15 gallon starting volume.

My upgrade to the 40 pound tank, was well worth it for me. Saves me trips and is cheaper to fill. If you're exchanging at the home improvement store, those exchanges are often not full. I took a new exchange to a shop that fills and they put another 4 pounds into it. I no longer go the exchange route since they change more for less.

I use an old turkey fryer burner, do 5 gallon brews and get 4-5 brews per tank.

Latest posts

Back