propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew32

Reaction score
I inherited my fathers camp chef camp stove and was wondering if it was possible to increase the btu's. It is currently rated at 30,000 which does not help that much with 5 gal all grain setup I am piecing together. Is ti possible to attach a high pressure regulator? any help will be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that's the same one I used to use. It worked fine for 5gal batches. 10 on the other hand, I had to lock the knob in the lighting position and keep any wind away to keep a rolling boil.

Not sure that you really want to be throwing too much more propane into it though, even just pushing the knob in to the light position was usually enough to start lifting the flame away from the burner.

I decided purchase a Brinkmann burner from home depot. At 100,00o btu's it really gets the job done. I figure I will get 4 batches per 5 gal. propane tank. I got it online after researching the banjo burners and comparing them to this one, I chose this one.

Hi

If you go burner shopping, be careful. There is a lot of BS in the BTU numbers that some outfits come up with. All you really need is a fairly quiet burner that will put out 50,000 to 80,000 BTU's. Giant jet engine sounding gizmos simply are not needed.

Bob

I have a KAB 4 that's rated at some ungodly BTU, with a high pressure regulator. Did my first boil with it a week ago. Opened the gas valve 1/4 turn and got 10 gallons to a boil in 30 minutes. That's good enough for me. Any more and I risk toasting the gaskets on my brand new boilermaker.

I have a KAB 4 that's rated at some ungodly BTU, with a high pressure regulator. Did my first boil with it a week ago. Opened the gas valve 1/4 turn and got 10 gallons to a boil in 30 minutes. That's good enough for me. Any more and I risk toasting the gaskets on my brand new boilermaker.

Hi

Not to mention the "turned it up, blinked and it boiled over" issue....

A burner is going to run at one output with 30 psi gas and flames about two feet tall and something very different at 1/2 psi and little blue flames. Unless you are after a Darwin Award, the 2 foot flames don't do much good.

Bob

I have a 60,000BTU burner. Doesn't take that long to heat my water, and once heated, I can back the propane input way way down and use almost nothing maintaining the boil.

I have a 60,000BTU burner. Doesn't take that long to heat my water, and once heated, I can back the propane input way way down and use almost nothing maintaining the boil.

Hi

That's the right idea. You want a burner you can turn down far enough. A jet airplane engine will go out before you get it low enough to be useful.

Bob

This isn't the jet type it is an adjustable flame high pressure burner. it is very comparable to the banjo sp10 and sq 14. Except it has a higher btu rating. It was the same price as the banjos and home depot has free shipping. I looked to this site when I was doing research and wanted to post the decision I made off the research. I had seen other people with similar questions so I was posting for them.

Hi

Actually it *is* the Banjo burner. The only differance is the ad copy that rates it at some monsterous BTU number. Since it's identical to the other ones, it will put out exactly the same BTU at the same pressure.

What you may want is it's little brother...

Bob

Latest posts

Back