Propane burner suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I've been using a cheap 'turkey fryer' style propane burner that I got with all my brewing equipment back in 2015. I'm starting to realize how loud and inefficient it is after borrowing a friend's Anvil burner during a double brew day the other day.

Which burner do you have and would you recommend it?

I'm only using propane (no natural gas) and I have a 10 gallon kettle. I might eventually upgrade to a 15 gallon at some point though.

Blichmann Hellfire was my go to propane burner.

If you’re at the point of upgrading burners, I’d give electric a look.

I have the Edelmetall Bru burner and love it. It puts out 72000 BTUs and quickly heats up to mash temp and then boiling.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Anvil Foundry but decided not to due to not having good access to a 240v outlet. It's still something I might pursue in the future but for now I feel like the pros of electric would be nullified by having to use a 120v outlet.

I used a turkey fryer for the HLT and a Bayou Classic SP10 for the boil kettle for years. Now living in Florida I wanted to move into the A/C so I bought the Unibrau. I got the extra 600w element. But with other projects, I have only used it once.

Love the Blichmann burners...apparently the old models (not Hellfire) are at a discount because they aren't the newest version. Probably the most bang for your buck if you can find one used.

I've been using a cheap 'turkey fryer' style propane burner that I got with all my brewing equipment back in 2015. I'm starting to realize how loud and inefficient it is after borrowing a friend's Anvil burner during a double brew day the other day.

Which burner do you have and would you recommend it?

I'm only using propane (no natural gas) and I have a 10 gallon kettle. I might eventually upgrade to a 15 gallon at some point though.
I started brewing with a Blichmann with the leg extensions 8 years ago (the Hellfire wasn’t available then) and I consider it one of my best brewing equipment purchases. It is very quiet and efficient.

Back