Propane Burner size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Horlacher

Reaction score
I use my turkey fryer burner but it is so slow...only a 5 psi regulator. I want to upgrade now (to around 180,000 BTU) but I also eventually want to install some burners into a permanent stand/system...and I would hate to buy them twice. Looking to spend around $40 for free standing one now.

Could I eventually weld the standing one into a tier/pump system? I guess I could.

What do you all have...regulator size and BTUs?
Where did you get them from? and how much?

Thanks again

Jason

Jason Horlacher said:
I use my turkey fryer burner but it is so slow...only a 5 psi regulator. I want to upgrade now (to around 180,000 BTU) but I also eventually want to install some burners into a permanent stand/system...and I would hate to buy them twice. Looking to spend around $40 for free standing one now.

Could I eventually weld the standing one into a tier/pump system? I guess I could.

What do you all have...regulator size and BTUs?
Where did you get them from? and how much?

Thanks again

Jason

I dont know what my Regulator size is, It came with my Turkey Fryer. My burner is 160,000 Btu's and it does the job very nicely and I probably wont get another one unless it quits working for some reason. As far as the Tier/pump System I can't help you because I dont have one I just use the Fryer and a Cooler MLT.

You can take the burner and use it, along with the regulator in a stand. I did exactly that on my first stand.

I've got the basic 55K/150K burners (depends on the regulator) and I use a 0-30 psi regulator. My last stand had a 0-10, but it worked fine, too. They put out more than enough heat for 10 gal batches. You could spend more on bigger burners, but why?

I bought everything at www.bayouclassicdepot.com

And here's my stand.

My first burner was a 170k btu turkey fryer from K-mart for $40. Worked well, but it was hard to get it to burn clean at low levels (and wasn't quite enough for BIG batches). I bought a 210k btu Banjo burner for $69 with shipping. I'm very happy with it. I'd probably not buy any other burner unless I went NG...

Thanks for the website Lil' Sparky. I am looking at buying some new burners to use on the single tier stand I am trying to design. I really like the look of your stand. Any way I could get the length and width and hieght of that? I can't decide how tall it needs to be or how wide it needs to be. Otherwise I think the design is fairly similar. Just need to get all my ducks in a row before taking it on. Thanks-

I use 3 sanke kegs for brewing. They're 16" in diameter, dictating the dimensions. I think the stand is about 50"L x 13"W x 24"H. This gives the kegs plenty to sit on, but also gives enough space in between for the burners to do their thing. And I wouldn't personally want it any taller than it is. Here's a link to the build thread. Luckily, part of it was already put together for me. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49968

That's a great thread of how you built it! I liket he dimensions as well. I don't want it too high b/c I'm using sanke kegs as well and I would want to try and be able to see the top of them. Do you like the one pump system? I have one pump I just got but keep looking at the way the Brutus 10 is set up and uses two pumps? Anyways, thanks again for the help and pics!

With quick disconnects on the hoses, a single pump works fine for batch sparging. A second pump would be required for 2 things. Fly sparging like Brutus 10 does and recirculating both wort and ice water while cooling. The only reason I may go to a 2nd one would be to also recirculate ice water. I'm very happy with batch sparging.

Thanks for this info Lil' Sparky. I was looking at the burners you have and at the website they are pretty cheap. I think I may get the same ones. I was looking at the regulators as well and the cust. service people did not recommend the 0-30 psi regulator b/c they said that burner was not made for it and:

BG10 are not usually recommended to go over 185,000 BTU---(20 PSI)

Does this really matter? I guess you just run the gas line through your setup to each burner and then run it off that one regulator, right? I'm by no means a plumber or gas expert so I'm just making sure I do things right. Thanks for your input.

Thanks for this info Lil' Sparky. I was looking at the burners you have and at the website they are pretty cheap. I think I may get the same ones. I was looking at the regulators as well and the cust. service people did not recommend the 0-30 psi regulator b/c they said that burner was not made for it and:

BG10 are not usually recommended to go over 185,000 BTU---(20 PSI)
A 0-20 psi reg would be fine. I had a 0-10 psi reg on my 3-tier and it was fine, too. I did notice if I was running multiple burners at the same time that it struggled a bit, so I went with a bigger reg. There's no need to ever turn it up all the way, though.
Does this really matter? I guess you just run the gas line through your setup to each burner and then run it off that one regulator, right? I'm by no means a plumber or gas expert so I'm just making sure I do things right. Thanks for your input.
Right. This picture better shows where I hook up the gas line to the plumbing on the left. It's just a flared fitting that I screw the flex line from the regulator onto.

Is there flex line that runs through that pipe or is it all just controlled with the valves so you determine which burner gets gas and which does not? I am thinking that I may just get the 0-30 reg and that way if my needs change I'll already have the right reg for it. I assume these burners will heat up a ten gallon batch at a reasonable rate as well? Thanks again for all of your help - it's very humbling to realize I don't know near what I would like to but am trying to learn.

It's the 2nd way you described it. You can think of the burner plumbing like a gas manifold. The regulator is supplying pressure to the entire main line running across the bottom. The ball valves control the gas flow to individual burners. You can actually regulate the flame with the ball valves, but it's more difficult than with the regulator.

The difference in the cost between the 20 and 30 psi regulators was almost nothing. In fact, I would have been happy with the 20 psi reg, but I don't like the needle valve adjustment they use and much prefer the big nob on top of the 30 psi reg.

You can see the difference in these pics. Here's the 20:
bcm5hpr1_regulator_kit.jpg

and here's the 30:
bc7850_propane_regulator.jpg

Thanks again. That actually makes very good sense. I think the regs that I have now are 0-10psi. I kind of like the option of going with either one of those and knowing that it will be capable of providing heat to all three of the burners if I need it. Did you mention before how long it usually takes you to heat up your water or bring the wort to a boil?

Thanks. That seems pretty similar to my experience with the burners I have now on the turkey fryer. It takes me about 4.5 maybe 5 hours some days and that's from start to finish including cleanup and sometimes a little longer mash than 60 min.

What is a minumum BTU rating you can use for 5 gallon batches that will not take forever. My stove top (old ass electric stove) just can't handle rolling boil of 2.5 gallons. And want to buy a burner that will at least work for 5 Gallon Full Boils. I have lowes gift cards so am hoping I can get a turkey fryer there that will work okay.

There is a 46,000BTU turley fryer for 80 bucks that comes with a 30Q SS Pot. Will this be efficient for 5 Gallon batches?

Back