Propane Burner Question - sq-14 time to hear water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBell

Reaction score
I have a SQ-14 burner, and I am trying to heat my water for my malt do it's magic. It's taken nearly an hour to get the water from 50 degrees to 165. Is that typical? It seems far too long for me.

I am using a black painted keggle, a mostly full propane tank, and I am using a lid. There is about 6 gals of water in the keggle, and the ambient temp is right at 53 degrees.

The valve on the tank and pressure thingy are turned all the way open, and the air vent is open as well. The air intake is fully opened. The burner itself is virtually silent.

I am assuming that I have done something wrong, as these burners are apparently commonly used by brewers on this forum. It just doesn't seem right to me.

That doesn't sound right to me. My burner, ( I don't know off hand if it is a SQ-10) roars when it is at full throttle.

Try turning lighting the burner with the gas on "just a little". Then bring the flow up to full over a couple of seconds. Some of those pressure thingys limit gas flow if the flow increases too fast.

Sounds like the OPT valve on the propane tank has set. Shut off the burner, close the valve on the propane tank. Then SLOWLY open the propane tank, then open the regulator slightly and light the burner. Then turn up the regulator.

That OPT valve is a new (last couple of years) saftey feature that will give you fits if you open the propane tank valve to quickly.

Do you think SQ-14 is a good choice for a 5 gallon boil after all?

How long did it take?

I didn't time it, but it was much faster than heating the strike water.

Yep, I'd buy it again.

Back