Propane burner advice (existing build issues)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm having a couple of, what I hesitate to call problems but more inconveniences.

I'm using 3 BG-12 burners on my single tier (the ones from Agrisupply) which are considered low-pressure. Two of the three (HLT and MLT) are plumbed with VR8200 controls so they can be fired with my Brewtroller. Both are fronted with Cavagna dual-stage regulators. The BK burner has a simple 0-15 PSI adjustable high-pressure regulator valve and the tank has a 0-30 PSI adjustable.

I have 80 qt pots, and my batch sizes are usually 6-16 gallons. I recirc HLT and MLT.

So to the inconveniences:

1) Heatups on the HLT and MLT take forever. And when I say forever, I mean I can go make a coffee cake and drink a cup of coffee before I get up into mashing range :) I know the VR8200 controls severely limit burner output. In the past I was advised I needed to drill out the orifice in my burners to let more gas in from the controls. Will this really help things? Or is there something else I need to consider?

2) The BK burner will eventually get things boiling - I was able to boil 18 gallons yesterday. But it did take quite a while, and I do have to keep the shutter fairly closed to get enough output to do so. So I know I'm wasting a ton of gas. Any opinions what I should do here? Again, I'm using what is considered a low-pressure burner in a high-pressure mode. So maybe I need to drill out the orifice.

I'm just hesitant to make any moves without some input from the experts! On a plus note: the beer is coming out excellent and my efficiency is almost mind-bogglingly unbelievable!

Thanks in advance.

Back