Prohibition Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your quick response.
2. Same as you would extract.
So just dump the package and mix?

51b. warm enough to desolve extract. No bring to boil add hops? Missing this part of recipe?
This is a "No Boil" recipe I'm assuming, only calls for warm water. The Extracts are already hopped. For Recipe #2 only the Muntons Amber extract will be hopped. The rice solids are not. (It's an experiment.. LOL)

Looking at brew kettles/pots ... 20L(5.2gal) or 30L(8gal)?

I'm not going to argue about temperatures, Azmark is right, 80+ is too hot. However, if you are trying to reproduce something that was brewed in Texas in the 20s, well, hot is what they had, I reckon.

I'm not going to argue about temperatures, Azmark is right, 80+ is too hot. However, if you are trying to reproduce something that was brewed in Texas in the 20s, well, hot is what they had, I reckon.

Who said anything about arguing. I said I have a fermentation fridge. The original was brewed underground, so I figure mid 60's. Doesn't matter I have a fridge for that. Water temperature during prep was my question and he answered that. I will follow his instructions.

Who said anything about arguing. I said I have a fermentation fridge. The original was brewed underground, so I figure mid 60's. Doesn't matter I have a fridge for that. Water temperature during prep was my question and he answered that. I will follow his instructions.
My intent was to say that I agree with Azmark, but that it might not be best in this particular case. Probably could have worded that better, sorry if it sounded confrontational. What I should have said, I suppose, is that when trying to reproduce historic brews, we have to remember the historic conditions those brewers worked under. No offense intended.

You'll still want to boil for 5-10 just to sanitize. Since the extract is prehopped it will provide some bitterness, but maybe a 1/2oz of magnum in there for the 5-10 boil would be a bit of a help.

Thank you for your quick response.

So just dump the package and mix?

This is a "No Boil" recipe I'm assuming, only calls for warm water. The Extracts are already hopped. For Recipe #2 only the Muntons Amber extract will be hopped. The rice solids are not. (It's an experiment.. LOL)

Looking at brew kettles/pots ... 20L(5.2gal) or 30L(8gal)?

From what I saw, rice solids do not have to be mashed. They're like rice sugar powder? Taste it, if sweet, just mix it in.

Back