Progression of a brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some brewers want to take brewing as far as they can and others want to just make cheap easy beer, others fit in between.

This isn't the path I took but it seems like a fair model.
Were do you fit.

1. Mr Beer Kit
2. Bucket fermenter
3. Go to secondary maybe also Glass carboy
4. Steep grains
5. Build a mash tun
6. Partial Mash
7. Wort cooler
8. Full boils
9. AG
10. Kegs
11. Fermention Cabinet
12. Kegerator.
13. Go Herms or Rims
14. Do cool stuff like Brewpastor and Yuri.

I'm passed ten and wanting to go to 11 and 12.

I am on 9 right now. I will be moving to the UK temp. coming up in October and I am not going to take any of my brewing equipment with me so I am holding off adding to my setup until I get back. I am looking forward to getting into kegging.

Well I guess technically I am on number 10 since you have two 4's. ;)

Jings I have a long way to go. I still have grains in my fridge that I have yet to use! Oh well...
Stage 3 for me! Happy with this just now so I can only imagine how happy I will be after climbing a few stages.

Nice list Mr Orfy.

skipped straight to 4 for a short time and made a fast track to 9 and not looking back. Now I just need funds to do the cool stuff.

I think I am on #15 " start a brewing company" its time!!!CBC or California Brewing Company Inc. has been born
never did #1 or #13 for that matter
JJ

I guess that's my problem, I am certainly NOT on the right path. Started at 3 and 4 (both 4s) skipped ahead to 7 and 8 then back to 2 and am now on 10, 12 and 15. Still don't secondary.:D

I went from brewing with extract to AG within 6 months. I keg my beer and that's where I am now. After 11 years of brewing I'm not sure what progression is next.

Wow, I may be more progressed than I thought. I'm at 8, having skipped 5 and 6, but I also have a basic kegging setup with a single corny.. wouldn't call that full step 10 but maybe 3/4 of step 10 (haven't gotten around to 9 yet either).

I'm on the second 4 so I guess 5 but I will be moving to 6 and 7 at the same time in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm buying my 5 gallon cooler when I get back from vacation and converting it ASAP, next batch will be PM. Woo Hoo!

1. Mr Beer Kit

did the following at the same time.
2. Bucket fermenter
3. Go to secondary
4. Steep grains
4. Glass carboy (better bottles instead)
8. Full boils
7. Wort cooler

11. Fermention Cabinet (freezer with controller to do lagers)

did the following at the same time.
5. Build a mash tun
6. Partial Mash (skipped)
9. AG
10. Kegs
12. Kegerator.

(i'm here, 11 months after brewing my first batch. I need help)

13. Go Herms or Rims

Mine went something like this:

2. Bucket fermenter
4. Steep grains
3. Go to secondary
8. Full boils
(at same time), then

7. Wort cooler
9. AG
10. Kegs
11. Fermention Cabinet (freezer)
12. Kegerator

Thought about "13. Go HERMS" but I think I'd rather save up for a conical. :) Shiiiiiiiny! :p

Started at 2&3&4b. Then 4a, 10, & 11. Then 5 & 7. Not doing 6, going right to 8&9. Working on 12. At some point, might do something 13ish. In my daydreams, I do stuff 14ish. :D

Did the following at the same time:
2. Bucket fermenter
3. Go to secondary
4. Steep grains
4. Glass carboy
7. Wort cooler

Did these later, at the same time:
5. Build a mash tun
6. Partial Mash

Moved on with this:
10. Kegs
12. Kegerator.

And after getting myself straight with doing PMs I'm now doing:
8. Full boils
9. AG

orfy said:
Some brewers want to take brewing as far as they can and others want to just make cheap easy beer, others fit in between.

This isn't the path I took but it seems like a fair model.
Were do you fit.

1. Mr Beer Kit
2. Bucket fermenter
3. Go to secondary
4. Steep grains
4. Glass carboy
5. Build a mash tun
6. Partial Mash
7. Wort cooler
8. Full boils
9. AG
10. Kegs
11. Fermention Cabinet
12. Kegerator.
13. Go Herms or Rims

I'm passed ten and wanting to go to 11 and 12.

Hmmm, two #4's? I think that's where I started. Skipped Mr. Beer altogether. I started partial-mashing shortly thereafter, but I did it in a kettle, direct-fired, and used a pasta strainer insert set in a plastic bucket to drain and sparge with. Eventually I fell backwards into a plethora of badass used equipment---that I'm still not sure is mine or I'm just a temporary depository for it, but I'll use it while I have it. So now I have a 50L SS MLT that had to have cost SOMEBODY at least $300...and I just used a modified Rubbermaid 10gal picnic cooler that has a nice convex false bottom and spigot. I have had a lagerator since about new years or so, but I still haven't taken the leap to kegging...even though I "fell backwards" into 4 cornies and a picnic tap. I'll get there, soon.

The biggest "step" that you missed in there was graduating from the kitchen stove to propane/NG burners. That might go hand-in-hand with #8, though.

Been doing this less than a year...but maybe someday I'll try a HERMS or RIMS system. Though, I get great efficiency as-is, so I dunno if it'd be worth it.

Can't say I fit on this at all. I've been doing AG/Full boils/Kegerator almost from the beginning and still use buckets for fermenting, keg directly from the fermenter and do some extract batches. I doubt I'll ever go to carboys or SS fermenters.

I started off on #4, then after 2 steeped grain batches, escalated to 8, which is where I sit. I'm going to skip 9 I think and go straight for kegs and kegerator.

Not at all the steps I followed, lets see here...

1. Mr Beer Kit - nope, instead went to a BOP shop for a while (until they shut down).

Then all these were at the same time:
2. Bucket fermenter
4. Steep grains
8. Full boils

Then almost immediately:
7. Wort cooler

And eventually (also at the same time):
3. Go to secondary
4. Glass carboy

Now I've just:

10. Kegs (no setup for them yet)
11. Fermention Cabinet

Some of the rest I'll get to eventually,

Certainly these are next ...
6. Partial Mash
12. Kegerator.

...and then...

5. Build a mash tun
9. AG

It'll be a long while before I get to these last 2 though

13. Go Herms or Rims

My first two brews were a step 4 (extract + grains). The next was an 8 (partial mash, full boil) and since then I have been doing 9 (AG).
I will probably at some point do kegs and perhaps a kegerator, and may upgrade my cheap an easy AG setup but I probably won't build a fermentation chamber because I prefer Ales and my basement is a nice constant temp. I also don't see myself spending the time and money on advanced systems, but that may change in the years to come, I wasn't sure about AG until I realized how easy and cheap it could be.
Craig

1. start with secondaries, glass carboys, and wort chiller
2. start with steeping grains
3. Kegerator and kegs
4. Build a mash tun
5. Full boils and AG

Skipped these:

1. Mr Beer Kit
2. Bucket fermenter

Started here:

3. Go to secondary
4. Steep grains
4. Glass carboy

Done a few kegs, but mostly bottle:

10. Kegs

Have a Son-Of-Fermentation Chiller (close enough)

11. Fermention Cabinet

Next on my list:

12. Kegerator.

Can't really do these in current Apt:

5. Build a mash tun
6. Partial Mash
7. Wort cooler
8. Full boils
9. AG
13. Go Herms or Rims

I'll move on to AG when i get a garage. MAY do some partial mashing in the near future, though ;)

1. Free wine making kit, fail miserably at making wine
2. Start making beer in carboy from kit
3. Steep grains
4. Go to Secondary
5. Fermentation chamber
6. Building SIMS
7. AG
8. Full Boils
9. Kegging
10. home built kegerator

I'm floating around 5 and 6 right now.

Your steps are a little out of order but I went from #6 partial mash directly to #15 which is building all of my equipment myself. I only own a few store bought peices of equipment.

I went from 5 gallon batches to building my own 30 gallon pots & brewstand with a control panel and full automation.

I just completed # 12.

I was going to be "allowed" to build a small micro in our back yard. SWMBO said OK. (this was right after hurricane Katrina had taken out 60% of our trees)

My mother was over one day and said something about a flower bed or something. I'm screwed.

I have a mobile setup. I have a dedicated "shed" where I keep all of my brewing equipment, so I guess I shouldn't be a ninny and whine.

Maybe one day the flowers will die, and I can sneak something back there overnight.

Started off on 3 and 4 skipped 6 and combined 5 7 8 9. Sittin on 12 right now, and starting to save up parts for 13, but waiting till we BUY a house so I don't have to move it.

1. Mr Beer Kit
2. Bucket fermenter
3. Go to secondary maybe also Glass carboy
4. Steep grains
5. Build a mash tun
6. Partial Mash
7. Wort cooler
8. Full boils
9. AG
10. Kegs
11. Fermention Cabinet
12. Kegerator.
13. Go Herms or Rims

I'm at 12 and think I'm staying there. I'd like conical but with ferment temp control especially out here I'd have to be into the glycol universe. I'd also need to build an additional garage to house it. Yea, I like 12.

Brewer3401 said:
I was going to be "allowed" to build a small micro in our back yard. SWMBO said OK. (this was right after hurricane Katrina had taken out 60% of our trees)

The brewery should be the last thing standing. How about building it into a bunker just to be sure.

I am at # 13 and loving it, just did my fourth batch on an all stainless brew sculpture, fermenting in a coverted keg in a fridge, keg beer only in the keggerator. Life is good, although I'm not sure what #14 is.............

Eastside..........

Eastside Brewer said:
I am at # 13 and loving it, just did my fourth batch on an all stainless brew sculpture, fermenting in a coverted keg in a fridge, keg beer only in the keggerator. Life is good, although I'm not sure what #14 is.............

Eastside..........

#14 is when buying your equipment doesn't give you any satisfaction so you have to build it yourself. Im not talking about making chillers or hopstoppers, it's when you have to build something that you can't buy anywhere.

Kind of like this....
dscn3102.jpg

Brewstand
dscn3101.jpg

Pool Filter MT
DSCN3097.jpg

Converted Pool filter Primary and Secondary Fermenters
Secondary1.jpg

Awesome set up Mash!! Stuck on #13 it is for me then. I am useless when it comes to creating and building, so I'm stuck paying someone for my stuff. I love the fridge with the glass door, I think finding adequate fermentation fridges and serving fridges is my next challenge in my brewery. Thanks for sharing pic.s.

Eastside

Back