Process order question which comes first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbstl68

Reaction score
My first ever batch of cider is done fermenting.
I plan to ensure the yeast is knocked out via heat pasteurization or the meta-k / bisulphate thing as I have read on this site. So I am not concerned w new fermentation.

I want to back sweeten but also age it.
But what to do first?

So should I age for x amount of time in the carboy (6gal), THEN back sweeten & pasteurize just prior to bottling,
OR should I back sweeten to taste , pasteurize, bottle THEN let it age?

Also, is it best to age cold, (I think I can get the whole batch into a spare fridge) or basement temp (high 60's-low 70's)?

My first ever batch of cider is done fermenting.
I plan to ensure the yeast is knocked out via heat pasteurization or the meta-k / bisulphate thing as I have read on this site. So I am not concerned w new fermentation.

I want to back sweeten but also age it.
But what to do first?

So should I age for x amount of time in the carboy (6gal), THEN back sweeten & pasteurize just prior to bottling,
OR should I back sweeten to taste , pasteurize, bottle THEN let it age?

Also, is it best to age cold, (I think I can get the whole batch into a spare fridge) or basement temp (high 60's-low 70's)?

Sorbate and Sulfites are way easier then pasteurization. If you don't care about carbonation its the way to go.

I never experimented with when the sugar is added. I typically add it right before bottling. If you don't use sulfites and sorbate and you add sugar without pasteurizing, it will begin to ferment again. I bottle age typically, so I guess I do age with sugar. I think a good age temp is 65.

Back