Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betch

Reaction score
One of my second year hop plants had the leading head eaten? After that the plant started to bush at 2 feet? I tried to take a new head to the twine but after 2 weeks there seems to be no new height. Any ideas on how to get this growing up???

I did a lot of experimenting this year & once the growth head is gone, it's gone. That's the big reason for having 2-3 bines from a root. Since we've hit the Solstice, it's probably too late for you to get another shoot going. Give it a tomato cage to bush on. That will maximize the energy storage for next year and the sidearms might do well enough to give you a few hops.

I've lost the tips off of 3 bines and what I did was go down to the next point where leaves are branching out each side and cut the stalk as close to that intersection as possible. Just used my pocket knife. 2 of the 3 have started new growth heads and are climbing away.

Back