Problems with Secondary Fermentation When Using Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AImhoff88

Reaction score
I've made about five batches of beer now (three using priming sugar and two using carbonation drops), and I've had some trouble with secondary fermentation.

When using the carbonation drops, I haven't had any problems; the beer is properly carbonated. However when using priming sugar, the beer is barely carbonated after over a month. There is only about a 1/4" head and a handful of bubbles in the actual beer.

I believe I am doing everything correctly. I boil the 3/4 cup priming sugar in a couple of cups of water for about five minutes. I then let the solution cool for a bit before pouring it into the wort and mixing the solution in with a large spoon.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I know carbonation drops are several times more expensive than priming sugar, so it would be nice to just use the priming sugar.

What you're talking about isn't really secondary fermentation.

You'll need to give some more details on your process if you expect to receive much help. i.e. batch size, beer style, production timelines, storage conditions, etc.

Sorry about that! What exactly is secondary fermentation then?

I made a light American ale, which I fermented for three weeks. I then racked it and added the priming sugar before bottling. I then let the bottles sit for three weeks before testing a couple out. The beer was barely carbonated. Two weeks later, it was the same case.

Sorry about that! What exactly is secondary fermentation then?

I made a light American ale, which I fermented for three weeks. I then racked it and added the priming sugar before bottling. I then let the bottles sit for three weeks before testing a couple out. The beer was barely carbonated. Two weeks later, it was the same case.

Secondary fermentation is when the beer is moved from the primary fermenter (let's say your bucket) and placed into another fermenter (let's say a carboy) to finish fermenting and get it off the yeast cake. It helps with getting a clearer beer, but I have stopped doing the secondary and just leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks.

And yes, make sure your bottles are in a fairly warm, dark area (65-70 deg. F) and not sitting directly on the concrete floor. Cold temperatures will slow the bottle conditioning process down.

But either way, shouldn't the fermentation be finished after a month? Mine had practically carbonation.

Primary fermentation will typically be finished after a few weeks, but some yeast will wake up and eat the small amount of added sugar to create carbonation after bottling. If too much sugar is added then too much carbonation will be produced (see bottle bombs) and if too little is added then you may not get much carbonation. That, as well as what has already been stated, can cause slow or low carbonation levels.

Primary fermentation will typically be finished after a few weeks, but some yeast will wake up and eat the small amount of added sugar to create carbonation after bottling. If too much sugar is added then too much carbonation will be produced (see bottle bombs) and if too little is added then you may not get much carbonation. That, as well as what has already been stated, can cause slow or low carbonation levels.

Ahh, I see. So it's possible that 3/4 cup priming sugar for a 5-gallon batch is actually too small? More priming sugar is needed?

I'm not sure if 3/4 cup is right or not. Every kit I received used to come with about 5 oz. of priming sugar. To be safe, weigh it up and see how much that equates to.

Are you adding your sugar to the bottling bucket before or after you rack your beer over?

I add the solution (boiled water with priming sugar) to the bottling bucket once the solution has cooled and AFTER the beer has been added to the bucket.

That could be part of the issue. If the sugar solution isn't being mixed well in the beer, you could end up with a mixture of flat beer and bottle bombs.

I add the solution to the bucket before I rack over and then let the natural convection from the flow of the beer mix. Comes out evenly carbed every time.

I add the solution (boiled water with priming sugar) to the bottling bucket once the solution has cooled and AFTER the beer has been added to the bucket.

That's the issue.

You want to add the hot (or at least warm) sugar solution to the bucket first, and then rack your cold (cooler than the sugar solution) beer on top of it. It will disperse the sugar evenly throughout your beer. Doing it the other way around will not. The temperature differential is important.

There is actual science behind this. Google it if you are interested.

I mix the solution and beer thoroughly before bottling for that exact reason (having an even mixture). I don't get any bottle bombs at all ... all of them are nearly flat.

Another trick to try is adding a small amount of dry yeast to your bottling bucket to ensure there are plenty of active cells to help you carb up.

From what you've said you should have no problems. Sounds like your priming sugar solution is being mixed well enough. Sounds like you are using enough dextrose (once you are comfortable doing so, start to be a bit more precise with your sugar to achieve the atmospheres of CO2 for the particular style you are making). Sounds like your temperature is correct. So perhaps something in your process is tuckering out your yeast. Thus the suggestion to add some dry yeast at bottling just to be sure (I think I've read 1/4 packet but it might be less; use the search function on the forum to check it out). I've done this once in a while after long secondaries and it works great. If you do that, ensure that you get the yeast distributed properly, probably by rehydrating, maybe even in a dextrose solution.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back