Problems with fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Hi all

I brew up an all grain vienna-ish style lager last just over a week ago.
I rehydrated to packs of mauribrew lager yeast, aerated wort then pitched yeast.
Next morning the fermentor was showing strong signs of fermentation im the way that I could see a nice white head on top plus the bucket lid had blimped up.
Moved to a fridge where the temp gradually cam down to 55f.
One week on I took a hydro re
ading and the beer appears to have stalled.
I have moved it into a warmer area to get things going again, but am I wasting timw?
With the long period of nothing happening am I best off tossing it away as it will probably be infected?

Thanks in advance for any info

Matt

Hey, Matt!

I wouldn't automatically assume an infection without some good reason.

To really help answer your question, though, the best thing to do is take a hydrometer reading today and again tomorrow. Fermentation happens more slowly at lager ferm temps, so "appears" is not a great guide. If the gravity is dropping, the hydro test will tell you and then you'll not have to worry :)

cheers piratwolf

I did take a hydro reading and nothing had changed from nearly a week ago. sg was 1.053 and its still sat there.
just checked after leaving it in a slightly warmer area after rousing everything again and now after 5 hours I can see yeast moving around so maybe I cooled it too soon and shocked the yeast? will leave it 24 hours before moving back into a fridge.

cheers
matt

Back