Problems In Malting My Own Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudeeshrao

Reaction score
Hi,

Am glad for being part of this community. I am a beginner in brewing, though am brewing for past 2 years but my brewing activities are limited to only doing experiments with fruits only. I tried a grain batch with barley and wheat but it didn't came out very well. Since I am from a place where even beer drinking is considered as a taboo and drinks are also limited to lagers majorly and weizen to a very very small level. Moreover, getting hops is also a pain, but my enthusiasm over brewing some craft encourages me to keep trying experiments.

To my latest experiment, I steeped 5lbs of barley and wheat each for malting. Since the place I am living in is not spaceous and somewhat packed with daily use of household stuff, due to this I got compelled to put my grains in a jar to sprout. I stirred and mixed the grains I put for sprouting in between, but its been 72 hours now, the grains had not sprouted, moreover the grains are now stinking too just like rotten egg. I fail to understand what could be the probable reason, as I didn't closed the mouth of the jar with its cap, I closed the mouth with a clean piece of cloth and I also do give wash to grains as it releases some heat but still. I request you to please help me with this because, the place where I live in doesn't have stable supply of malt here at my place and even if available its way too costly.

Do you employ temperature control for the different steps? Without this, the mix of sugars and moisture will grow all sorts of things. Also, some level of air circulation access is needed to avoid anaerobic pests - typically large shallow vessels are used for germination.

See How To Malt At Home: An In-Depth Guide for an example process.

You need to put the steeped barley on a flat surface or tray about 1cm deep in a room with average humidity and room temperature no direct sun. Spray it with water from a spray bottle to keep it wet and not soaked . So just a mist of spray. Sprouts should appear +-4 days later, then follow the rest of the process of drying and wetting.

There is no circulation of air in the jar so that will not work.

Thanks for the information, will try to apply the same, to the extent possible. Well here is some grain which I steeped separately and on the same proper germination happened and today I roasted it, since I don't have dehydrater at home. Please check, whether it's OK to proceed for a small batch.
IMG-20200430-WA0052.jpeg

Thanks for information. Please take a look at the malt I prepared from malting a separate small quantity of wheat and barley. Since I dont have a dehydrater, I roasted it. Please confirm, is it OK to proceed for a smaller batch?
IMG-20200430-WA0052.jpeg

Hi,

It is difficult to see from your picture. I have attached a couple of pictures where I sprout barley for sheep feed but it is a similar process for beer. You need to sprout the barley to +- 5mm sprouts as in the second row of trays in the picture. I am unsure if you can see the sprouts clearly. After 7 days you get the lush growth for feed and not for malt, I have posted it out of interest.

It is important to put the barley in the tray, 1cm deep after you have soaked it in warm water for 24 hours. The trays have holes at the bottom to remove excess water. then spray the barley three times a day to keep moist.

Attachments

• sprouts.jpg
    sprouts.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 17
  • sprouts2.jpg
    sprouts2.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Sprouts3.jpg
    Sprouts3.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Sprouts4.jpg
    Sprouts4.jpg