Problems carbonating in sankey kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimmy

Diaster Dog
Reaction score
Hey folks. Just looking for a little perspective here on an issue my brew partner and I are having. Recently knocked the first batch off on our shiny new 1bbl direct fire system from Stout Tanks, and got it in kegs. We have recently swapped from corny kegs to sankey type kegs. Filled the kegs with a modified sankey coupler. Filled kegs fully then stuck them in our 3-door commercial fridge and dropped the temp down to about 37. Pressurized on our manifold with about 12 psi. 2 weeks later no carbonation. No leaks present, we checked. And when we cranked up the pressure on a single keg and shook it for a few minutes it carbonated just fine. We have 5 more kegs sitting in the cooler uncarbonated. We have another 1bbl batch in fermentor right now and I really don't want to have to crank and shake all 11 kegs we will soon need to carbonate. Help? Any suggestions welcome. XD

Thanks!

Grimmy

Forgot to mention: We are carbonating through modified couplers that push the gas through the spire to come up from the bottom of the keg.

I have no clue what or why your using modified couplers but a regular coupler with psi set to 40 carbs my sankes perfectly in 18 to 24 hours. Then drop to 12 psi for serving

Sankes work far better than corneys as they were designed for beer. Why not just use normal couplers and enjoy..short lines work with sankes also...I run 4 ft lines

Well the theory is to pus the gas down through the spear and up from the bottom of the keg so that it has more contact with the beer. But clearly that didn't work as planned. The only difference is the check valve thingy has been removed and a beer-nut cap put on the usual gas in port. Gas is put in through the liquid out port instead. Could try it with a regular coupler and see. Got a lot of kegs to carbonate. Thanks!

Well the theory is to pus the gas down through the spear and up from the bottom of the keg so that it has more contact with the beer. But clearly that didn't work as planned. The only difference is the check valve thingy has been removed and a beer-nut cap put on the usual gas in port. Gas is put in through the liquid out port instead. Could try it with a regular coupler and see. Got a lot of kegs to carbonate. Thanks!
No need to mess with it. Just use it as intended, Try putting it on 40 psi today with a normal coupler and tomorrow youll be drinking a fully carbed beer.

Here is a beer I racked to the keg at 5 PM yesterday that I'm drinking at this moment....delish

20170524_184609_resized.jpg

Back