problems bottling off keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Persitz

Reaction score
I went to fill a swing top off my keg. I froze my bottle for an hour. Bled my keg of pressure, turned the psi to 5 and slowly filled down the side up to the neck. Capped it immediately and put in the fridge. Opened it 4 days later and it was flat. Did I leave too much heqdspace? I don't get it.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a bad seal between the flip-top gasket and the bottle. I'm sure someone with more experience will post something.

If you didn't use a tube or counterpressure (or both), the co2 would get "knocked" out of solution as it went down the side of the bottle. Just like pouring a beer into a glass and coming back to drink it four days later, you will have flat beer.

If you want to bottle from the keg, you have to use counterpressure fillers. You could buy one, or a Blichmann Beer Gun, or you could make one. Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/ There's even a how-to video later on in the thread.

Thanks Yoop. I knew one of the Vets would speak up. I attest to this bottling method. I must have misread the OP. Instead of using a racking cane I use my Bottle
Filler wand. I just cut the top end at the angle like BierMuncher cut the bottom of his cane. That way I can still use it to bottle traditionally or from the keg.

i have not had as good luck with a "frozen" bottle as with a very cold but wet bottle. frozen bottles tend to have frost/ice crystals on them which scruB CO2 out of suspension...

i have not had as good luck with a "frozen" bottle as with a very cold but wet bottle. frozen bottles tend to have frost/ice crystals on them which scruB CO2 out of suspension...

Agreed. cold or not, dry bottles "pop" co2 bubbles more than one with some starsan foam.

Back