Problem with too much head space in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncowling

Reaction score
After several batches of testing, I'm going to brew a larger batch of cider tomorrow. I'm going to do 2 seperate 2gallon batches, using 2 5gallon carboys.

I had an issue with krausen going crazy when fermenting 1gallon of cider in a 1gallon carboy, so looking forward to the extra head space.

My worry/concern/question is if there will be any negative side effects from having so much head space/oxygen in each carboy?

(BTW, the reason I'm splitting the batch up is to finalize on yeast, using windsor in one for gluten-free and WL irish ale, which I had good success with before, in the other.)

new to cider, but with beer that should not be a problem for the primary, my impression is that the CO2 keeps spoilage at bay, however for secondary it will likely be a problem. Hope this helps.

Joe
Primary 1 - 5 gal "Apple Wine" - from this site
Primary 2 - 6 gal EdWorts Apfelwin

Idea: what if I primaried the 2 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy, then racked to 2 separate 1 gallon carboys?

yup, i regularly use 12.5L carboy for primary and then secondary in two 5L water bottles, it's perfect

Back