Problem decanting a starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtom

Reaction score
I made a 4 L starter for a Festbier, finished fermenting yesterday. I cold crashed it over night at 36 and set it to 31 this morning at 5:00. Tonight at 6:00 I I went to decant it and when I picked it up the yeast, WLP838 all went back into suspension. Anything I can do to prevent this?
Thanks.

That's a high-flocculating strain, shouldn't be easily roused compared to many - you should play with wlp2565 if you want "snow globe" :D
I always pick my crashed e-flasks up just under the lip making a ring with my fingers and treated the whole thing like a plumb bob to keep the bottom level. Works pretty well, even with the 5 liter flask, but then again I have large hands.
Anyway, move wicked slow :)

Cheers!

That's a high-flocculating strain, shouldn't be easily roused compared to many - you should play with wlp2565 if you want "snow globe" :D
I always pick my crashed e-flasks up just under the lip making a ring with my fingers and treated the whole thing like a plumb bob to keep the bottom level. Works pretty well, even with the 5 liter flask, but then again I have large hands.
Anyway, move wicked slow :)

Cheers!
Well I didn’t do that. So try wicked slow next time.

Yes, handle it carefully and decant gently. If possible allow enough time to crash again and decant a second time if you feel like you’re starting to pour out the yeast cake the first time.

Yes, handle it carefully and decant gently. If possible allow enough time to crash again and decant a second time if you feel like you’re starting to pour out the yeast cake the first time.
Okay so try to decant a day early. That does make sense.

Back