probe temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hb771

Reaction score
I have a Pyrex kitchen temp and timer with a probe. I tape it to a 1 gallon glass jug...the glass is not too thick on these small ones. I was getting 70 F at the very beginning of ferment. Was the wort at 75 or 80 inside??
I got the temp down fairly quickly to 68 on the probe and then down to 65 by moving the jug to different rooms. I am thinking next batch that the temp should be about 62 on the probe. If I did over heat it at first can I clean up any bad off chemicals by keeping the remainder of the ferment,11 days total, at low 60s on the probe??

100_1406.jpg

Use a small piece of insulation, foam or similar over the outside of the probe so it rests against the glass and isn't interfered with by the ambient temps. This works very well to pretty accurately match the internal temp. The majority of the bad fermentation products are formed in the first 48 hours, so dropping the temp is not going to get rid of high alcohols, nor is again time in most cases.

Latest posts

Back