Printable Brew Logs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rypcord

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good printable brew-day logs/journals or sheets? Like an excel file/pdf file, etc, that one can just print over and over for their brew-days?

Same thing for a good recipe listing.

Thanks!

You might save in the long run if you catalog everything in a brewing software like BeerSmith. If you check Home Brew Finds or similar websites, they usually have a link to buy a license for $10. You can keep everything in your computer, and they even have cloud backups.

Does anyone have any good printable brew-day logs/journals or sheets? Like an excel file/pdf file, etc, that one can just print over and over for their brew-days?

Even though I use BeerSmith for my recipes, when I send one to our club members I do have a separate log sheet that I fill out and make copies for them, as not everyone in our club has a copy of BeerSmith.

View attachment Brew Pages.pdf

I have one. I wanted to make some small changes to it recently and now I can't find it! :(

I find them handy when I remember to use them. There are a few online if you search.

This is what I have been using in conjunction with BeerSmith. Like one of the other posters said, not everyone he knows who brews uses BeerSmith so something else helps.

Now, I cannot take credit for making this, but I found this somewhere online but cannot recall where exactly.

View attachment BrewForm_v1.3.2.pdf

I made up my own. I got the idea from a brewing journal for sale online. Looking at that, I decided what I wanted on mine, and made up a sheet. For me, the journal I found, and the examples above got too much clutter on them. Kept mine nice and simple, one page, with only what I wanted on it. As a matter of fact I've been meaning to revise mine now that I've been using it and know what I want, and use.

I made mine in Google Docs. I had seen the Brewers Friend ones but I wanted something that would fit all in on page. The spreadsheet calculates the grist % of each fermentable. I often do split batches to test different yeasts, so I have space for two yeasts to record their FG and attenuation separately. I put in the OG/FG and it calculates ABV.

View attachment Brew Log.pdf

I've gone ahead and built my own custom one to augment what BeerSmith puts out.

I've modified by Beersmith recipe print outs to contain what I need in regards to recipe/mash temps/etc. I'm lazy and wouldn't want to have to re-type/re-write everything from there. Then during the day of brewing I use the attached sheet to record notes for issues incurred during the day. I also have check offs to make sure I've removed the items from my beersmith inventory. Plus a column for recording PH at various stages, volumes, gravity, etc.

View attachment Brew Day Notes v2.1.pdf

I use s omething like this. It's an MS Word doc. W/each brew I change the ingredients and erase all the data from the last brew. After all is done I print it and file away in a 3 ring binder. Each time I make the same brew or change it a little it gets filed w/the old ones and I have a running record of each recipe.

Oktoberfest v1.0 13 Feb 2016

Date/Start 02/13/2016 Date Bottled # Bottles=

2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 67.0 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.4 %
8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 13.4 %
3.7 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.2 %
0.19 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 28.5 IBUs
0.08 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.30 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.20 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafLager West European Lager (DCL/Fermentis #S-23) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -

Est Pre-Boill Gravity 1.042 SG Measured Pre-Boil Gravity 1.0425 SG
Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.0564 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.0 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: %
Bitterness: 28.5 IBUs Est Color: 7.0 SRM

Temperature at Pitch *F Brew House Eff: % Grain Weight 3.73 lbs

1a- Bring 3 g water to 166*, Fill cooler w/hot water and cover.
b-Grind grain while cooler heats.
2a-Place grain bag in cooler and slowly add grains and mix. 159 *
b-Temp of mix should be 152*, cover and mash for 75 minutes.
(0=156 ) (15 = 154* )Add Amelyse ( 30 = 152 ) (0=151 )
c-Drain bag w/calendar, squeeze bag, mash w/cups.
d-Pour Wort into boil kettle Measure volumn ( g)
3-Measure Brix ( 10.2 ) SG ( 1.0425) Est Pre Boil SG=1.042
4-Add .55. oz Hallertauer hops at boil.
5-Add Irish Moss after 45 min
6-Add 0.3 oz Hallertauer after 45 min
7-Add 0..2oz Hallertauer after temp drops below 190*
8- Pour into fermenter and measure cold->Vol ( 1.95 g) Brix ( 13.4 ) SG (1. 0564 )
9-Seal and chill to 50*F
10-Add 1 pack SafLager S23 yeast Check temp ( 50 *F)
11-After 5 days check SG ( )
12-Raise temp 5°F every 12 hours until it reaches 65°-68°F Leave for 10 days
13-Check SG ( ) if pau add 1.55 oz sugar and bottle
14-Store at 70* for 3 weeks
15-begin ramping the temp down in 5°-8°F increments every 12 hours or so until it reaches 30°-32°F leave for at least a month.

Brew logs are nice but I usually just write on my BeerSmith print out. It is nice that BeerSmith prints out the ingredients and all measurements for you. You could print out BeerSmith and then put a brew log on the back with your actual measurements and all that.

Brew logs are nice but I usually just write on my BeerSmith print out. It is nice that BeerSmith prints out the ingredients and all measurements for you. You could print out BeerSmith and then put a brew log on the back with your actual measurements and all that.

This is what I was doing until I got a really old laptop that I didn't really care about, and it's now dedicated as our brewputer. The cool thing is that I can create recipes on my desktop PC or even on my iPad and then sync them to the brewputer and keep all my notes in there.

Sorry to keep pushing away from paper brew sheets. It's not my intention to promote softwares as a superior option, they just work better for me, and I thought I'd pass that along. When I started out, I used alot of the tools found here.

I think record keeping is one of the most “personal” things in brewing, in terms of how differently it gets done by different people. Everybody’s mind works a bit differently.

Personally, I’ve pretty much forgotten how to operate a pen and paper, so I’m a big proponent of the “computerized” approach. :D What it lacks in old-school charm, it makes up for in power and convenience, IMO.

I made up an MS Excel workbook that has individual tabs for various logical (to me, at least) stages of the overall life of a batch of beer, from brew day to tasting. The “brew day” tab records things like durations, gravities, temperatures, general thoughts, etc. The “fermentation” tab records things like temperature steps, durations, gravity readings, ABV calculation, hydro sample tasting notes, etc. The “bottling” tab records things like amount of bottling sugar used, and quanitity/number of different container sizes (so that I can keep a running tally of packaged beer volume). The “tasting” tab records tasting notes on the beer along with relevant data (bottle age, etc.) Most of the “interesting” data is calculated using formulas so all I have to do is enter in the raw info (gravity measurements, dates, etc.) and the program just spits out the rest. Finally, the “summary” tab pulls in some highlight data from all the other tabs and puts it in a table (Recipe name, style, OG, ABV, estimated calories, batch size, etc.).

For the recipe itself, rather than repeating work by typing it in or writing it down, I just do a screen-shot of the recipe in Beersmith and paste it in the notebook (if you’ve got Win7 or later, the “snipping tool” is your friend—check it out.)

This Excel file then gets pasted in my OneNote brewing notebook, which also serves as an organized repository for recipes, reference materials, handy website links, to-do lists, etc. This OneNote file all gets automatically sync’ed to OneDrive (aka “the cloud”) and is then almost instantly available on all of my devices, including my PC at work, my PC at home, my tablet, phone, etc. Last week I was sitting at my buddy’s – a fellow brewer – and he asked me some pretty nuanced questions about a recipe we did last summer. Rather than say “yeah, I’ll check when I get home and send you an e-mail” I was able to pull out my phone and within seconds have comprehensive records for that brew at my fingertips. It’s pretty wonderful, actually.

Same thing for a good recipe listing.

Thanks!

I made one awhile back, nothing fancy. Link is in my sig below.

I just made these tonight for a friend. I use Beersmith so I kept the basics of what I use on it. I've used this for a while and it's great for record keeping. (I do it a little differently than what I posted here)

I put a pic here, but the link to the files is below.
Beersmith%20Log.jpg

I enter the info in on brewday and then I print it out on cheap sticker paper and put in in a Moleskine and hand write the info when i have time, usually its after I clean everything up but sometimes its when I take the first sample from the fermenter.

I put all the special techniques and random notes on the right side, and the left side is just for the numbers.

What I do different if you have time is that I usually print the recipe off of Beersmith as a PDF and then paste just the recipe part on the left side where I put space for handwritten stuff using photoshop. The big empty space above the recipe is where I put the beersmith recipe name.

Anyways, I like it, hopefully it's useful to someone else.

(my plan is to go to blurb and use it as a template and just make a hardcover book with these as the pages, it's pretty cheap)

PDF
https://www.dropbox.com/s/282b1e9xo4hdyoc/Beersmith%20Log.pdf?dl=0

Here's the photoshop file if you wanna change anything
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vscjml1jb937d54/Beersmith%20Log.psd?dl=0

Beersmith Log.jpg

I keep everything in Excel. Recipes, categorized in the tabs, So have tabs: All Recipes / Mine / IPA / Gose / ESB / Stout / Porter, etc

and then a list of what has been brewed, with dates, and tasting notes, etc. and recently when I make a label up, it goes in there as well.

I can easily cut and paste into word and print it out.

I just made these tonight for a friend. I use Beersmith so I kept the basics of what I use on it. I've used this for a while and it's great for record keeping. (I do it a little differently than what I posted here)

I put a pic here, but the link to the files is below.
Beersmith%20Log.jpg

I enter the info in on brewday and then I print it out on cheap sticker paper and put in in a Moleskine and hand write the info when i have time, usually its after I clean everything up but sometimes its when I take the first sample from the fermenter.

I put all the special techniques and random notes on the right side, and the left side is just for the numbers.

What I do different if you have time is that I usually print the recipe off of Beersmith as a PDF and then paste just the recipe part on the left side where I put space for handwritten stuff using photoshop. The big empty space above the recipe is where I put the beersmith recipe name.

Anyways, I like it, hopefully it's useful to someone else.

(my plan is to go to blurb and use it as a template and just make a hardcover book with these as the pages, it's pretty cheap)

PDF
https://www.dropbox.com/s/282b1e9xo4hdyoc/Beersmith Log.pdf?dl=0

Here's the photoshop file if you wanna change anything
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vscjml1jb937d54/Beersmith Log.psd?dl=0

View attachment 391674
oh man, this is the best one I've found but the files aren't in the dropbox any more. Can you by any chance send me a link to download the brew sheet? I now it's two years since you've posted this, but fingers crossed!

oh man, this is the best one I've found but the files aren't in the dropbox any more. Can you by any chance send me a link to download the brew sheet? I now it's two years since you've posted this, but fingers crossed!

I'll 2nd this! Thats a nice format!

Hi guys! I see the link no longer works since it was posted almost two years ago. Here are some templates I have used in the past before moving to Beersmith.
I do not recall where I got them from and I don't want to take credit for creating them, but thought I would share.
Cheers!

Attachments

• Brew Day Notes v2.1.pdf
    113.1 KB · Views: 743
  • Brew Pages.pdf
    121.2 KB · Views: 627
  • BrewForm_v1.3.2.pdf
    350.3 KB · Views: 600
This is what I have been using in conjunction with BeerSmith. Like one of the other posters said, not everyone he knows who brews uses BeerSmith so something else helps.

Now, I cannot take credit for making this, but I found this somewhere online but cannot recall where exactly.

View attachment 353689
Haha, and H.P. Lovecraft brew log. There was no category for human insignificance.

Back