Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porternz

Reaction score
Hey Team
I normally prime all my bottles one by one with suger tablets.... this has allways worked fine, however i am reading more and more about priming before bottling which i am keen to try.
the question is how much suger to put in? and what kind of suger is best?
I have 23ltrs ready to be bottled into 745ml bottles. Some advice would be great.

Dan

that depends on alot of things. first off what is the style you are aiming for? that will determine how many volumes of co2 you should have. Then you need to know the temp of your beer at bottling. Then you enter all that information into a calculator and it will tell you how much corn sugar you need to add to your beer

Unless you are carbing to style, which not everyone does, especially when they are just starting out, the typical amount of CORN sugar that people use is 4.5-5 ounces/5 gallon batches. That is usually the amount contained in kits, and will carb most beers to the 2-2.5 volumes of co2 most ales require.

But if you do want to carb by style this calculator is great, it shows you the amount of any type of sugar you will need if you are carbing by style, it gives you the average amount of co2 for that style but you can also alter it to the high or low end of the scale if you want.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Since you are now going to be bulk priming, there some great tips for bottling by a bunch of people on here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

I am new on the trail of finding the "best beer". However, I am trailing on an accomplished beer/mead brewer/maker. So I must go outside what I have been shown so far and inquire, what is priming and is it necessary when going from rack to keg?

Latest posts

Back