Priming with Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewess, I don't know the answer to your question, but I would like to see what some of the more experienced brewers on here have to say. You would probably get a lot more responses if you posted your question in this subforum: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/

Has anyone had much experience priming with honey when making a cream ale or the like? (I asked this on another forum but was directed here. Sorry about the repeat.)

Brewess.wordpress.com

i would just use dextrose, you're not going to get any flavor contribution from honey as a priming agent. and i reckon it'd be harder to distribute since it's so thick. but if you really want to, it's possible. look up 'how to brew', there should be a priming chart with different amounts of different sugars to get you where you want to go if you decide to use honey.

Check out the recipator. I've used honey a few times. Works ok, but it takes a little longer to carb the bottles. Lately, I've been using dried malt extract (DME) with fairly quick results. By the way - I've tried to convince myself otherwise, but there is no difference in flavor due to the priming sugar.

I agree with android on the harder to distribute part. I haven't done enough experimenting to know if there's any taste difference compared to dextrose. My first all grain was a Tripel that called for honey to prime. I didn't heat it up or anything and about half of it was left in the bottom of my bottling bucket. Read up on doing it the right way if you decide to use it.

Good Luck!

I use honey to prime. I have been using 1/2 cup to prime 5 gallons but I am going to try just a bit more honey than that next batch.

Added info:

Honey should NOT be boiled.

I bring 2 cups of water to a boil, measure off the honey in my measuring cup, remove pot from heat, add honey and stir it up until it is 1 consistency then add that to my 5 gallons, gently stir that into the beer and then bottle.

In many recipes that call for using honey they talk about it in lbs. The ratio is 1 pound = 1 cup in brewing.

Honey is 74-80% fermentable, depending on brand/type.

How much DME do you use per gallon as a primer?

Are you really that clueless about priming with honey since most of your posts ask/answer the same question, or are you pimping your blog?

If you're just asking the same questions over and over so that you can pimp your blog with each post, KNOCK IT OFF.

If you're here genuinely asking questions because you are looking to increase your knowledge, welcome and I apologize.

For priming with DME, I use 1.25 cups per 5 gallons.

Back