Priming versus Force Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pb2013

Reaction score
Just did my first keg two days, and was told that doing priming sugar and force carbonation together was fine, so I did. Now I am second guessing myself. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've not kegged before (so probably not the best resource) but it would seem like you are going to over-carbonate if you can't relieve the pressure built up as it carbs naturally. I would probably take it off the gas now, relieve the pressure that is in there, wait for it to finish carbonating naturally, and put it back on the gas at serving pressure.

I know there is a safety pressure relief on kegs but is there a way to set one up to relieve pressure at a given setpoint to achieve the desired pressure to carbonate at during the natural carb?

You absolutely should not do both. If the keg is refrigerated, I'd suggested taking it off gas and letting it warm up to room temp for a couple of weeks to let it finish natural carbonation. At colder temps, the natural carb may never happen and you'll end up with a sweeter beer.

Back