priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishod89

Reaction score
So, I went to bottle my hefe on the 4th and realized I didn't have any priming sugar. The LHBS was closed for the holiday, and it seems no one sells corn sugar, so I picked up some cane sugar. After checking How to Brew by Palmer, I boiled 2 cups of water with 4oz of cane sugar and then racked the hefe on top of the priming solution. The priming solution seemed darker and much less in volume than normal. Just wondering what others have experienced. Anyone ever use cane sugar? Did I use enough/to much? Does it carb in the same amount of time? Thanks in advance.

Ryan

4oz of cane sugar is about the same as 4.2 ounces of corn sugar. That's about right for the "average" beer, though I believe a hefeweizen tends to have heavier carbonation. I expect your beer will be drinkable and won't have any bottle bombs, but it won't be entirely true to style. I suggest an online bottle calculator like this for priming calculation, since it allows you to input style, current temperature, and type of sugar needed.

As for cane sugar, it works fine. There's still some debate on whether there's a flavor difference between corn and cane sugar when used as an adjunct, but in priming sugar amounts there's no difference in flavor or speed, just in the minor issue of amount.

Back